• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Roadrunner or ?.

Robert Schaad

Local time
5:29 PM
Reaction score
We are finishing my friends 1972 ?. 440, 4 speed, 9 1/4 posi, total aftermarket suspension, Nitrous, 295 tires all around, and so much more. Is it a RR or Satellite? That is the question that gets to me. WHY? a RR IS A SATELLITE. Satellite is the body, hens the first digit of the VIN, R which stands for SATELLITE. So if you do not see the VIN you CAN NOT know if it is a real RR or another type of Satellite.
Bryce 3.jpg

Bry front.jpeg Bryce 2.jpg Bryce 5.jpg

I mention occasionally Richard Petty's 1971 Plymouth was a Satellite (it has a Satellite hood, don't it?).

petty 43 car.jpeg

If you have the VIN number, second letter M = RR. R in the first position = Belvedere not Satellite. H in the second letter is Satellite.

Yep.
For 71:
RL Satellite. Belvedere for 70
RH Satellite Sebring. Satellite for 70
RM Road Runner
RP Satellite Sebring Plus. Sport Satellite for 70
RS GTX

Having a car with a factory pedigree is important to some and not to others. No matter which side of the fence you're on, the problem is when someone tries to represent a car as something it's not (like switching VIN tags and body stampings)

There are other clues such as the presence or absence of certain features.

...also it's somewhat akin to (no need to move to political) what gender were you born?

If the birth certificate (title) says RM, it's a Runner. RP, RH, or RL, it's a Satellite.

So... what's your point ? It's not a stock car anymore, anyway. Technically, as correctly stated, if it was manufactured as a RM car, it is a road runner. Irregardless, it's an absolutely beautiful car, to be enjoyed as the owner wishes. And, as also correctly stated, it should not be "represented" as an original model if not so to any potential buyer. But, for one's own choice for their own car, "do what you like". ( by the way, it's sure-grip, not posi, in mopar-speak... posi was available on 63 Pontiac Tempests... )

I don’t understand your point really? Sounds like you’re maybe a little angry that your satellite isn’t worth as much as a road runner? I’m not sure.

We all know the differences, if you don’t care and want to invest the same amount of cash into a satellite as you would a true road runner that’s your choice, just don’t expect to get it all back if you ever sell?

Auto Transport Service
Back