• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 VIP Plymouth Sebring Plus

cheeseburgerhead69

Local time
9:51 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I went a looked at a Sebring Plus this weekend and wanted some opinions, It was the 2nd car off the line, had a build date July of 1971 on the door sticker and the vin tag, fender tag and door all had a number ending with 000002. There were two fender tags, one said "SHOW CAR" also when we dropped the tank it said SHOW CAR on a piece of masking tape that was on the top side. The car was built in St. Louis Its a 318-2 Auto with A/C, ralley gauges, factory cassette player, power windows, two tone paint. There is a lot of documentation from the original owner. The car has 49,000 miles showing but spent most of the last 20 years stored outside. It has a few minor rust issues but is pretty much complete and runs and drives. Wanted to hear some feedback. Thanks "Cheese"

Well, that's cool stuff to have, however, while it is unique, it doesn't necessarily add any value. I'm not nocking it, but it still is just a base car. If you are asking for opinions, pictures would help.

Didnt I just read on fbbo yesterday someone had satellite sebring car no. 1? It's like deja vu all over again.

Sounds like a cool car. Eariest that I've heard of. I don't know what RC means by base car. The SSP was the highest priced model in 72 behide a RM23U.
With a ton of options it could be the highest priced B body build for 72.

A low-number car like that will likely have a fender tag, and/or a comment on the build sheet, that says "PILOT CAR". What that meant was it was a "training car" for the new model year run. They were cars that worked out the assembly line issues, fit and finish, and other things. I've seen cars with a build number as high as 100 with the tag. The first cars were never about building the high-option car, or the Hemi or 440+6 car. My late friend had a '76 Plymouth Fury III four-door sedan that was S/N 100017. Triple-green 360 four door. Years ago, I saw a '66 Coronet Deluxe at a show, that was car #3. It was a six-passenger 361 auto wagon; one of just 163, it would turn out.

Love to see it, what color? Too bad it's a 318 though.
Ron

Sounds like a cool car. Eariest that I've heard of. I don't know what RC means by base car. The SSP was the highest priced model in 72 behide a RM23U.
With a ton of options it could be the highest priced B body build for 72.

It's a base SSP. If it had a 440 it would be worth more.

IMG_0849 (Large).jpg
It's a base SSP. If it had a 440 it would be worth more.

That's a big no! SSP gave you 318 as base engine, 400 2BBL as an option and then 400 4BBL as the top power plant. The Plus in the equation gave you Argent paint below the side trim.

RP23 Satellite Sebring Plus -8-2DR HT
The following items of Equipment are standard on this Model:
Vinyl Trim,Dual Horns,Bucket Seats, Carpet,Cigar Lighter,Drip Rail Molding,Day/Night Mirror,Wheel Covers

Correct. the 440 was not available in a SSP. For 72 the 400HP was as good as it gets. SSP also had the Rallye dash. Also body side molding and two tone paint for 72.
Electric windows and tape deck are found in a "base car"

View attachment 302306
RP23 Satellite Sebring Plus -8-2DR HT
The following items of Equipment are standard on this Model:
Vinyl Trim,Dual Horns,Bucket Seats, Carpet,Cigar Lighter,Drip Rail Molding,Day/Night Mirror,Wheel Covers

That is one of the Sportiest, Most Elegant, Classy, Streamlined and Gorgeous Satellites I have ever seen! Phenomenal looking Car!

That is one of the Sportiest, Most Elegant, Classy, Streamlined and Gorgeous Satellites I have ever seen! Phenomenal looking Car!

I bet you say that to "all the cars!":)
Thanks Dave
Ron

Nice '72! I had a '72 Satellite Sebring from 1987 - 1993 that I paid $1,500 for. Beautiful gold 2-door with a 318, auto, air, AM/FM and a cloth bench seat. Very, very nice car that went to TX in the late '90s...probably someone's fake '72 GTX or RR now, I'm sure. This car had 33K miles when I sold it in 1993.

Auto Transport Service
Back