• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 B body tie rod question ...

rebeldart

Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
I swear I see no difference in the inner and outer ends that I have ordered in the past (other than thread direction). Seems I remember a difference on an older A body I restored a few years ago ?

I just replaced the inners and outers on my 74 and your right they are the same except the right hand vs left hand threads. wont really matter if they are swapped end for end they will work however its easier if both sides are either left hand threaded on the inside ( drag link) or outside (steering arm to ball joint) to make it as easy as possible on the alignment guy lol

1970 - 1976 Mopar "B" Body tie rods are ES401L (Left Hand thread) and ES401R (Right hand thread) --
the ES401L are INNER tie Rods and the ES401R are OUTER tie rods...
Other than the threads -- they ARE identical.....
The 1970 - 1976 are VERY Different from the 1962 - 1969 tie rods....

What are good ones to buy
MOOG ----- and O N L Y MOOG ---- and I keep them in stock all the time, if you need them....
(Moog had the contract back in the day for MOPAR -- so they look / are original .... and the
1970 - 1976 tie rods are far less expensive than the 1962 - 1969s...)
************Use the Conversation feature for contact as per site rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
MOOG ----- and O N L Y MOOG ---- and I keep them in stock all the time, if you need them....
(Moog had the contract back in the day for MOPAR -- so they look / are original .... and the
1970 - 1976 tie rods are far less expensive than the 1962 - 1969s...)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Are they heavy duty? Also the bushings they go into do you have the poly urethane ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC you can use C body ends. The function the same, but are thicker and stronger.

Not entirely sure since the different body styles had revisions in different years.

Most of the info I remember was about A body cars, so you might try over there.

Old thread, but for the record, if you update to larger tie rods on your 1973 B-Body, the shopping list is:

MOOG ES440S Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve (x2)
MOOG ES352R Tie Rod End (x2)
MOOG ES355RL Tie Rod End (x2)

The actual threaded part that goes into the drag/center link is the same (0.5 in./20 TPI), and the length of the adjusting sleeve is the same, so you simply benefit from larger threads that go into the adjusting sleeve (0.562 in./18 TPI versus 0.687 in./18 TPI). Just did this tonight on my '73 Road Runner! Have fun...

Auto Transport Service
Back