• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 big bloock fan clutch question

ralley72

Local time
12:07 AM
Reaction score
Does a 400 4 speed non A/C car need the radiator fan with the clutch?

Thanks

hmmm I think you could probably skip the fan clutch if you mounted an electric fan in front of the radiator. I considered deleting the one on my 400 before deciding to go stock. It might even save you a horsepower or two, and the definitely make better cooling fans you can get from Summit or wherever. Let us know what you end up doing

Regardless of engine size a fan/clutch combo is the best set-up if it is mounted to the water-pump. That is the way the factory did it. And they wouldn't have done it if it did not work. Thermal clutch only locks up when needed and free wheels when it isn't. Make sure to put the shroud back on as well. Usually only hear this question when it is missing.

Why don't use the fan clutch? It makes loose less HP and gets a more stable engine temp

Auto Transport Service
Back