• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 charger interior question

dan brooks

Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone;
I have aquired what I believe to be a 1973 charger se big block car, my question is this, this car came with a column shifted automatic which is now on the floor, did they make the se with a bench seat? there's not four holes for buckets in the body and the bench I took out looked to be original. It's got a cloth like center to it. There's a button back seat in it and I'm begining to believe that maybe the guy I bought this car from changed the back seat to the button style as it doesn't fit as tight as it should. Any help would be wonderful and a picture as well, this car is all apart. Do you also know of anyone who might have a steerin column schematic?? Thanks, Dan.

Se usually had the bench seat with bucket backs. If it has a Brougham interior it could be bucket or bench. There are wiring diagrams on the 71-74 Charger site or you might as well buy a shop manual if you are going to work on it yourself. The rear seat may be from a different year but any Charger should fit.

Yep, buckets or bench.

I just sold my 73 parts car SE that was factory cloth bench.
I kind of liked the cloth inserts. Much more modern than most.

Give us the first 5 VIN digits, and we'll verify BB status.

Lots of SE 400 2 barrels made.

That would be WP29M.

400-4 would be WP29P

440 would be WP29U

bucket seats/steering column

That's what I've been seeing, this car had a bench seat in it but was not the high bucket back. it's your basic low back straight across with headrest on it, I cant believe it came original with this car. It does have the brougham interior. The guy gave me a set of buckets with the car that are beat, I'll probably just have them redone and put them in without the console,(dont really like the console), doesn't go with the megashifter. I'll have to drill the inside holes and put some kind of shim in there to beef it up.
The reason i'm looking for the steering assembly schematic is the console is together but probably not as tight as it could be so I'd like to see a breakdown of the column area right where the turn signal switch area is. I have a bag of parts and I know they go in there somewhere, thanks, Dan. [email protected]

Se usually had the bench seat with bucket backs. If it has a Brougham interior it could be bucket or bench. There are wiring diagrams on the 71-74 Charger site or you might as well buy a shop manual if you are going to work on it yourself. The rear seat may be from a different year but any Charger should fit.[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

do you know of any pictures of the cloth seat??? I'm really begining to believe this might be original

Auto Transport Service
Back