• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 charger se with pw??

pistol_grip_polara

Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
I just got a pair of 73 chargers from my brother. Between the two cars, all that is needed is motor, tranny, front bumper and grilles. My question is, how rare are they with PW? One of them is red with black interior. It was a buddy seat car, a/c, pw. Black interior with wood grain. Is this anything special, or is this a fairly popular option on these cars. I do not have the VIN on hand, but if i remember correctly, it was a 400 car. I know between the two one was a 400, can't remember which. The other one is a tan car with tan interior that was a console (long gone). Its pretty rough. the rear drivers quarter is LAYERED with bondo, and the door is toast.

Not sure what Im doing with em, but figured it was better then crushing em, and didn't cost a whole lot either.

I don't know if they are rare but chances are they are not. PW doesn't make a car rare, But a group of options,or Being a Rallye Charger,or a nice SE. I would say post up more info and pictures and you can get better answers

A "P" code 400 4 barrel car might be worth saving instead of parting out, espcially if it's the p/w car with the good quarters.

"Full" lower quarter patches are available.

Rust free deck lids and cowls are hard to find. Good dutchman's are kinda difficult.
Rust free fenders are kinda difficult, too.

Any 400 block is good for building a 451, which is pretty popular.

If parting out, the doors with the p/w are worth saving.
I've seen just the gts go for $300 lately.

Minor issue is that the SE didn't have any moving rear windows, so the p/w setup is fronts only.
That makes them less desireable to the 71/72 crowd.

I've seen more demand for the buddy seat brackets lately.

Pics?

SE pass.jpgSE badge.jpg
A "P" code 400 4 barrel car might be worth saving instead of parting out, espcially if it's the p/w car with the good quarters.

Minor issue is that the SE didn't have any moving rear windows, so the p/w setup is fronts only.
That makes them less desireable to the 71/72 crowd.

I've seen more demand for the buddy seat brackets lately.

Pics?

Not all 73 SE cars were tri-louver rear windows... there were some 73 Charger SE's with full vinyl tops and PW front and rear, just an fyi.

Yes thx and as far as a rare car no the car in ? I don't believe is rare but they are nice easy cars to build and as yy1 said yes fenders are hard to find reasonable. But they are out there trunk lids also are out there as far as bumpers dime a dozen everywhere these cars are easy to get some things for but some parts mirrors and some chrome very expensive. These cars are very nice looking and enjoyable to drive you will get looks just like if you were in a early or gen 2 charger. I'm no expert but I do have a few of them as you can see and have owned 6 - 7 pw cars so sorry not rare but still desireable

If they have solid cowls, and roofs, they are a greta way to get into the hobby without spending an arm and a leg on every part.

Yep Halo roof SEs, now those are kinda rare.

I didn't think it was a super rare car, however it is a "p" code 400 car. Black interior with the buddy seat. No drivetrian, body and interior are decent. The other one, "m" code, has a good rearend, as well as front k member and all parts but the body is shot... Got some work to do, but I have a 440/727 combo I plan on setting in there with some centerlines and make it a rolling project and sell. Not a car I want to keep, but don't want to part it out. It is missing a few pieces, but it is a 73 so parts shouldn't be overly expensive for someone. Thanks for all the input. Sorry I don't have pics at this time.

I do have a bunch of extra parts from stripping 3 73 se cars let me know what you need

not really looking to buy much at this point, but I have a friend who wants the car once i make it a roller. I was going to turn him onto this site. His dad has a 67 charger with a 383, and this will be his first b-body, he has always been into pick-ups. I do know it will need sill plates, black kick panels, rallye gauge set with a/c controls, front bumper and grilles, some misc other pieces, but that is what i know is missing off the top of my head.

Rare no. Cool yes. Idk about the SE's but I believe 73 was the largest production year for the chargers. What's cool about the 73 SE's were the opera windows (louvered quarter window's). Have fun and enjoy them 3rd gens.

You could check the Hamtrack site for more info on your charger options.

I don't have a left fender but I think a friend in charlotte might pm sent

- - - Updated - - -

I have the kick panels front bumper a buddy has the grills kick panels will need to be died I might have sill plates and as far as other things might have them to tell me what you need beyond what you said the clusters go for between $50-400 don't know why they just do

Sounds like you might could get some parts to fix the 4 barrel car from the 2 barrel car.

IIRC, a 400-2 is a +5% option and a 400-4 is +25%

4 barrel car should have factory duals as well, and my have a rear sway bar and 8 3/4 axle which may be sure grip.
My 72 P code car has all of that. That's 50% of why I bought it.

For me, on 73-74 cars, it all depends on the cowl.

If it's good, you're good to go, if it's shot, it's about $400-$800 in parts and another grand or more in labor, which pretty much kills the value right there.

The cowl is solid... The "p" code car is sitting on rail road ties, it did have an 8 3/4 but my brother traded that for a factory "hp" 440 cam... Ha ha ha... Nothing more then a stock cam. So it's long gone. He also peddled the buckets seats as well as a decent passenger fender off the other car. Problem is, instead of pulling the bumper, cut it and bent it out of the way to get to the final bolts for the fender. Driver fender is pretty decent, as well as some other parts.

I'm looking for a 72 diver fender, if you part out...

As a complete devotee of 3rd gen Chargers, grabbing up 2 of them is awesome in my book. Are they rare? Doesn't sound like it. Are they more awesome looking than 90% of anything else on the road? Hell yes! Looking forward to pictures!

I know it is semantics, so bear with my OCD/**** retentiveness.. but:

OPERA WINDOWS - Found on 1972 Charger SE

TRI-LOUVER WINDOWS - Found on 1973 Charger SE

just an fyi.

I know it is semantics, so bear with my OCD/**** retentiveness.. but:

OPERA WINDOWS - Found on 1972 Charger SE

TRI-LOUVER WINDOWS - Found on 1973 Charger SE
just an fyi.

You don't have pictures to illustrate the difference between these two, do you? The wiki article on "opera windows" has a 3rd gen Charger picture with the 3 window thingy, what I assume you call "tri-louver windows"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_window

I'm interested because my '74 is apparently a "spring special", with a single rear window... which I guess isn't all that common. In true FBBO fashion, we need a rear window chart, complete with years made, trim levels, and pictures.

y
You don't have pictures to illustrate the difference between these two, do you? The wiki article on "opera windows" has a 3rd gen Charger picture with the 3 window thingy, what I assume you call "tri-louver windows"...

I'm interested because my '74 is apparently a "spring special", with a single rear window... which I guess isn't all that common. In true FBBO fashion, we need a rear window chart, complete with years made, trim levels, and pictures.

There is a book out there a friend has it with all details in it from 66-79 chargers soon as I get a look at it from a friend ill find it and post a thread on it has tag info build sheet info pics on grills taillights options and so on for all these cars and the tri louvers is normal louvers

74 spring special is just like a tri-louver SE window.. the only difference is that Dodge used a different type of fiberglass window insert. Opera houses did not have "windows" in between two booths in a balcony, but rather walls except for a small area between the two that an individual can lean forward to speak with individuals in other booths.

The "fixed" windows on cars and how they define them as opera windows is a misnomer. It has just become the terminology because whomever coined them as "opera windows" was mistaken from the get-go.

Go do a search for all the balconies in all of the old opera houses and see if you can find a "fixed" window in between the two booths... you will be hard pressed to do so. Why, booths were for privacy, not peepholes.

So, if you really want to know what an opera window is, look at the 72 Charger SE. The 73 SE and the 74 Spring Special are just fixed windows.

Again, I am not saying I know it all, but I am a stickler to what I see as true definitions and not an extrapolated truth based upon the "idea/premise/concept" to what the fixed windows promote.. rather than what they really are. Call me nuts.. call me a rebel raiser.. its cool.

Auto Transport Service
Back