• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Coronet "2 door"

Tony Defeo says it won't work but I disagree. He even discusses doing it on a 4 door Coronet he has (go to 2:45 in the video). The problem is he lumps the '71 Coronets in with the '68-'70 cars and says nothing can be done to make the '68-up models into a 2 door. To be clear, the '68-'70 hardtop/coupe roofs are different but we're not discussing those. IMO, you wouldn't try to make one of those cars into a 2 door unless you had a 2 door roof. I know it's been tried on those cars as evidenced by the examples in this thread but IMO it's not worth doing. Sorry.

I like Tony but in this particular instance he contradicts himself at least 2 times. #1, when he gets to the gold Dart, he describes combining parts of both doors just like I suggested earlier in this thread.

#2, I'm not sure why he thinks the pillar/post can't be moved on the blue Dodge since that's exactly what he says he's going to do to that Valiant in the beginning of the video. Besides, with my idea you're not removing the b pillar to make a full hard top, you'd just be moving it back whatever amount is necessary. The change is merely from a '4 door post' to a '2 door post'. Not sure what he was thinking when he said that. He didn't mention anything about the doors being the most difficult piece of the puzzle either.

Whatever.

Last edited:
Tony Defeo says it won't work but I disagree. He even discusses doing it on a 4 door Coronet he has (go to 2:45 in the video). The problem is he lumps the '71 Coronets in with the '68-'70 cars and says nothing can be done to make the '68-up models into a 2 door. To be clear, the '68-'70 hardtop/coupe roofs are different but we're not discussing those. IMO, you wouldn't try to make one of those cars into a 2 door unless you had a 2 door roof. I know it's been tried on those cars as evidenced by the examples in this thread but IMO it's not worth doing. Sorry.

I like Tony but in this particular instance he contradicts himself at least 2 times. #1, when he gets to the gold Dart, he describes combining parts of both doors just like I suggested earlier in this thread.

#2, I'm not sure why he thinks the pillar/post can't be moved on the blue Dodge since that's exactly what he says he's going to do to that Valiant in the beginning of the video. Besides, with my idea you're not removing the b pillar to make a full hard top, you'd just be moving it back whatever amount is necessary. The change is merely from a '4 door post' to a '2 door post'. Not sure what he was thinking when he said that. He didn't mention anything about the doors being the most difficult piece of the puzzle either.

Whatever.

I believe Tony was wrong in saying that the '73 coronet hood is the same as a Chargers hood. They look the same, but I've heard that the Charger hood is longer by about two-three inches.

Last edited:

Whatever.

When people tell me it can't be done,it drives me harder to prove them wrong.

Here's a bulge hood. Very nice color on this car, looks like F8 green. Still can't get past the extra door though.
73 Coronet drag car.jpeg

and that hideous bumper would look better body color

and that hideous bumper would look better body color
I don't mind the bumper that much but I had that exact thought as well. That scoop is borderline bizarre though. It's like a teardrop/aero/cowl/bulge/pillow-under-the-covers lump.

I don't mind the bumper that much but I had that exact thought as well. That scoop is borderline bizarre though. It's like a teardrop/aero/cowl/bulge/pillow-under-the-covers lump.

I was ignoring the hood...... it's just 4 bolts :lol:

I believe Tony was wrong in saying that the '73 coronet hood is the same as a Chargers hood. They look the same, but I've heard that the Charger hood is longer by about two-three inches.
I'll add that to my list of things to measure... my next door neighbor has a '71 Charger.

Auto Transport Service
Back