• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Coronet "2 door"

rmchrgr

Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score
I was on the Hutchinson River Parkway in Westchester, NY the other day and came up next to this '73 Coronet 4 door dressed up like a cop car. This thing sounded pretty good too, definitely a big block rumble. (note the R/T badge on the trunk) After a few miles, they turned off at an exit behind me and I caught a glimpse of the front end of it in the mirror - man, it actually looked downright mean. With the long hood and tunnel grill it definitely has muscle car bones. The plush police dog cracked me up.
IMG_6730.jpg

Anyway, seeing this thing out in the wild piqued my interest enough to contemplate what a 2 door might look like. Later on when I got home, I searched "1973 Coronet 2 door" and was surprised to find the answer to that query in the image below. I'm guessing someone did a masterful "Photoshop" job here but the rendering does look like it was out of an actual brochure. Was a '73 2 door Coronet actually a concept at same point? Whether it was or wasn't, I like it, it's slick. I also like it better than the later, bloated '75-up 2 door models.
1973-Dodge-Coronet-two-door-2d.jpg

Knowing the supply of good, 2 door project cars is dwindling, 4 doors are starting to look like gold. I'm not really a fan of them myself but I know more doors have a following and I can certainly understand the appeal. It's definitely a more affordable way to get into an older car. Plus, they were built on the same platform as our beloved performance versions so any modifications can generally be adapted in the same manner.

But due to what I perceive as their somewhat lower value, perhaps it might be acceptable to take some liberties with them? Like - has anyone thought about or tried to convert a '73 Coronet 4 door into a 2 door? I know it can be done 'relatively easily' on early B bodies but beyond the 4 door 'Cuda concept, I don't think I've ever seen a later 4-door body converted into a 2 door. I know it wouldn't be "worth it" really but that's not what this is about - I'm just thinking out loud about a what-if concept.

In this particular instance, the squarish C pillar/roof line would seem to lend itself more to a post sedan more than a hard top. Trying to graft the much more radical Charger roof onto one of these bodies might not work so well aesthetically. The B pillar could be moved rearwards but making the doors/skins look like they are factory parts would be dificult to accomplish because of the body lines. My guess is one would have to play with the B pillar position and then add part of the rear door to the rear of the front door. You'd probably need custom door panels when finished but that's detail stuff.

So whadya all think? Cool? Dorky?

Discuss.

4 door to 2 door has been going on since they have made 4 door cars. Not sure about Mopar C bodies since there was always plenty of cool 2 door cars to choose from but its a well known practice amount the Tri 5 community and especially the Zephyr community.

Yes, understood that converting a 4-to-2 door is an older concept but not with a '73 Coronet!

A ton of work, but certainly doable. I'd start by seeing how far the parts from a Charger, Roadrunner, or Satty Sebring parts car could help... so perhaps a hardtop?

Last edited:
I was thinking about the same... wishing a hardtop or sedan? Doors with frame and just B pilar with opera window? Or full hardtop with roll down quarters?

On a side note, 4 doors 75/76 doors are the same than 71/74. So mostly sure 75/76 2 doors could be retrofited on 71/74s relatively “easy”

Quarters not thought, so there is the hardest work to match, along with A pillars angle.

But IMHO hardtest is the 4 doors Cuda, so anything is posible. But a 2 doors 71/74 Coronet will look way better than a 4 doors Cuda, definitely.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the same... wishing a hardtop or sedan? Doors with frame and just B pilar with opera window? Or full hardtop with roll down quarters?

On a side note, 4 doors 75/76 doors are the same than 71/74. So mostly sure 75/76 2 doors could be retrofited on 71/74s relatively “easy”

Quarters not thought, so there is the hardest work to match, along with A pillars angle.

But IMHO hardtest is the 4 doors Cuda, so anything is posible. But a 2 doors 71/74 Coronet will look way better than a 4 doors Cuda, definitely.
The ‘75-up cars have a totally different shape under the quarter windows. Up to ‘74 it’s more of a Coke bottle style. The later cars are slab-sided. The C pillars extend farther forward and have the opera style window.

IMO The 2 door Coronet rendering actually has more in common with ‘65-‘69 Impalas/Biscaynes/Bel Airs than ‘75-up B bodies.

All ‘71-‘74 “Chargers” start with “W” in the VIN. So the 2 door car is a Coronet. At least compared to the earlier cars.

A 1973 2dr coupe is definitely a bel air style ride. A stripper with a manual trans and v8 of choice would be a winning combo IMO. Go for it!

The ‘75-up cars have a totally different shape under the quarter windows. Up to ‘74 it’s more of a Coke bottle style. The later cars are slab-sided. The C pillars extend farther forward and have the opera style window.

IMO The 2 door Coronet rendering actually has more in common with ‘65-‘69 Impalas/Biscaynes/Bel Airs than ‘75-up B bodies.

I was thinking that the cowl and hinge locations may be similar as Charger, etc. Using the a Charger/Satty Sebring door shell and striker jamb might be a good start and then fab from there. Hopefully the door glass might even align with the A pillar. Someone with some junk in their yard needs to try it out and report back!

Further thinking it, adding a B-pillar and fixing the rear window would simply things rather than trying a full hardtop.

Id think a satellite roof A-pillar to the c-pillar. Maybe satellite doors and b- pillar. Than use the rear sedan door skins to bridge the gap to the quarter.

A 1973 2dr coupe is definitely a bel air style ride. A stripper with a manual trans and v8 of choice would be a winning combo IMO.
Agree 100%.

Go for it!

I have two other cars I'd like to finish before the end of this century so unless someone else wants to run with it, this idea will have to wait. A friend of mine actually has a relatively clean '73 more door that would be the perfect candidate but he'd never agree to cut it up. I'd love to see it done though.

I was thinking that the cowl and hinge locations may be similar as Charger, etc. Using the a Charger/Satty Sebring door shell and striker jamb might be a good start and then fab from there. Hopefully the door glass might even align with the A pillar. Someone with some junk in their yard needs to try it out and report back!
I think the Charger and Satellite 2 door are too different of a shape than the boxy Coronet? '73-'74 Charger front fenders are wild compared to the Coronet, they have the bulge over the wheel.

Further thinking it, adding a B-pillar and fixing the rear window would simply things rather than trying a full hardtop.
My thought was to cut/re-use the existing B-pillar/door jamb section and 'just' move it back.

Then, you'd basically section the rear door by taking a few inches out of it in the middle. You'd weld the rearward side of the rear door into the quarter panel. You'd have to cut the rear door striker area out though and figure out what to do with the space left. Probably best to cut the entire door and weld it all in place as a whole to keep the window channel and provide rigidity along the bottom.

I'm convinced the door would be the most difficult part to get right. You'd have to separate the latch section from the skins and then graft the rear section to that. And, since the body line changes in the middle of the rear window and on the bottom as well you'd have to add some height and do some body work to get it all to match up.

1973-Dodge-Coronet-two-door-2d.jpg

I saw a picture of one someone made,but they just welded the rear doors shut and didn't move the b pillars back and lengthen the doors. I think it could be done to look factory, like the drawing. I would use the inner door structure from a third generation Charger, and attach two pieces of the Coronet skin and upper door window frames to accomplish the lengthening of the doors. I would probably use the rear of the door jambs from a Charger to receive the inner door structure and have them latch properly. I would use the upper part of the b pillars from the 4 door to receive the upper window frames. It may require a second set of 4 door doors to cut up to make all the pieces jibe and have enough material to do the job. If you have a welder and aren't afraid to tear into it anything is possible! I built both these Charger convertibles. If you want to build a one off Mopar,you just gotta tear into it and make it happen.

Resized_20201013_092327(1)(1).jpeg

8250453-DSC00666 (1).JPG

Last edited:
That's it man, I'm breaking out the hacksaws, torches, welders and body hammers and going at it to make the worlds first lightweight 2 door '73 Coronet.
In all seriousness, I believe the '73 Coronet is a few inches shorter than a Charger of the same year thus being a few pounds lighter for a perfect street sweeping sleeper. The hood is definitely shorter since I've been planning to draft, graft and fab on a power bulge onto my stock hood. Either that or shorten a Charger power bulge hood and bolted it on. They definitely look muscular and tough.
This car gets lots of attention on the NYC streets. It came with a factory two tone Gold interior and a burnt gold exterior coat.

By the way, I happen to know just the guy to make the conversion if it were in the plans since he made a hardtop '68 Coronet into a post car better than the factory could ever do. His name is "The Palm Reader" and Rmchrgr knows him well.

0-5.jpeg

0-8.jpeg

Last edited:
That's it man, I'm breaking out the hacksaws, torches, welders and body hammers and going at it to make the worlds first lightweight 2 door '73 Coronet.
In all seriousness, I believe the '73 Coronet is a few inches shorter than a Charger of the same year thus being a few pounds lighter for a perfect street sweeping sleeper. The hood is definitely shorter since I've been planning to draft, graft and fab on a power bulge onto my stock hood. Either that or shorten a Charger power bulge hood and bolted it on. They definitely look muscular and tough.
This car gets lots of attention on the NYC streets. It came with a factory two tone Gold interior and a burnt gold exterior coat.

By the way, I happen to know just the guy to make the conversion if it were in the plans since he made a hardtop '68 Coronet into a post car better than the factory could ever do. His name is "The Palm Reader" and Rmchrgr knows him well.

View attachment 1632702

View attachment 1632714
I made this hood for my 70 Charger R/T SE. A hidden headlight grille would also be a nice upgrade for a Coronet.

20200608_202857.jpg

20200608_203043.jpg

I made this hood for my 70 Charger R/T SE. A hidden headlight grille would also be a nice upgrade for a Coronet.
A friend showed me a photo of those headlights in a Coronet... they used the whole Charger bumper and headlights. Can't decide if I like it or not.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 203124.png
Screenshot 2024-03-17 203238.png

Auto Transport Service
Back