• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Dodge Charger 440 Headers

walts333

Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
I’ve been reading a lot about how difficult it is to install headers on a 440 in a 1973 Charger. Car originally came with a small block 318. Has anyone had luck with a similar install? If so with what brand header

My previous 73 was a 440 auto with power steering and brakes. A set of 1 7/8" tube Hookers fit OK once they were on but it was quite a chore. They said you can get them in easiest from underneath with the car in the air. I don't have a hoist so I picked the engine up so I could sneak them in from the top.

If I remember correctly, there was no difference between the engine bay of a 318 parts car I bought and that 440's engine bay.

If I were doing a street car today, I'd probably look at manifolds.

Bry

Well, if you haven't cut your passenger inner fender it's gonna be tight , big block cars have a different passenger inner fender. Can it be done, yup, but you're going to work at it.

Mark

I’ve been reading a lot about how difficult it is to install headers on a 440 in a 1973 Charger. Car originally came with a small block 318. Has anyone had luck with a similar install? If so with what brand header

I used Schumacher big block conversion mounts to install a 440 in my (orginally 318) 73 Charger. I used Hooker Competition headers. I have installed lots of headers in my time and this one was about the worst fit ever. I don't believe the Schumacher Conversion mounts place the engine in the same spot as real big block car. I am pretty sure the engine sits about 1/2" +/- higher, and this created a lot of header interference with the torsion bars. I was half expecting this, so I bought the painted headers assuming I would have to heavily massage them with a hammer to fit, and this was true. I also had interference with the power steering box, and the header was very close to the steering joint as well. There was no interference with the small block car inner fenders.

I installed the headers by hanging them in the engine bay and dropping the engine in on top of them, then repeating the exercise multiple times while massaging the headers until they fit. If you have manual steering the job would be a little easier, but I'm not sure you could slip any long tube type header in from the top or bottom without half removing the engine anyway. So, why I can't tell you what does work well, I can tell you that this combination was not a lot of fun.

I have since had to replace the starter, and that was another not-so-fun exercise that pretty much meant removing the driver side valve cover, removing the engine mounts, unbolting both headers, and lifting and tilting the engine back and forth with a hoist to get get enough clearance to sneak the starter past the header. This was using a mini starter - a full size starter would have been worse.

Lots of fitment issues for 73-74 cars. I used Hedman headers and had to modify the #5 tube to fit. TTI might be your best bet when it comes to quality fitment.

Auto Transport Service
Back