• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 RR standard/rally dash?

b_body_hopeful

Local time
3:29 PM
Reaction score
In my dash I have no tach just a speedo w/150 mph gauge. Did any rally dashes come without a tach or to be a rally dash
you need a tach? I ask cause I need to purchase a 3 speed wiper switch and cause there are two different switches depending on if I have a standard or rally dash, I am lost. Here is the reason why, The PO had installed a 3 speed rally wiper switch in the dash and had also installed a 2 speed wiper motor. Go figure huh. So to get things correct I ordered a 3 speed wiper motor. Just cause I could, I took the wiper switch out of the dash and it looks like a switch from a rally dash. Can I have a short rally wiper switch in a standard dash? If this seems confusing to you...it sure is to me.

Thanks for looking and any answer is better than what I got now. lol.
Dennis

As long as you have the round gauges you have a rally dash. With or without a tach it's still a rally cluster. An optional tach or clock would occupy the large pod and oil pres and gas gauges were relocated to the right.

If I am not mistaken, a 120 MPH speedo was used without the tach. My 73 originally came without a tach or clock, and I had a 120 MPH speedo...

My 74 Satellite Sebring Plus came with a 150 mph in it with no tach.

I always thought that the 73-74 rally dashes had 120 speedos, didn't matter about tach or not

Some did, some didn't, I have 2 other rally gage clusters from 73 RR, and two had 120 speedos and 1 had a 150, none of them had a tach.

Oh, and one other thing, a buddy that has a 73 340 with a 3 speed manual and 3.55 gears, has a 150 speedo, and the car tops out at 100mph according to what he said before it hits redline.

I have a very late build date 74 Charger Rallye, 7/24/74. It has Rallye Dash with 120 speedometer along with a tach. FWIW

73 Road Runner, originally a 318 automatic, rallye dash has no tach, speedo goes to 150. Car was built in Canada if that matters.

So then if there is really no clear cut rules to follow, I talked to a seller of mopar parts on pleebay and he said that a 3 speed wiper switch only fits into a rally dash and can not fit into a standard.....,but if the 3 speed is shorter than the standard 2 speed switch, why would not the smaller fit into the standard dash, if you get my point?
Please bare with me...even though I have worked on mopars for a long time, I never needed to tear down a whole dash as I am doing now to fix so many PO's wiring hacks. The wiper problem is just one in several I am chasing down and rewiring.

120 mph speedo's came in '74's. Hopefully someone will chime in about the light switch.

Well, final outcome of wiper switch and motor......the 3 speed switch was the correct one for the car and the 2 speed motor was not.
Replaced the motor with a 3 speed refurb and all is well now. Rewired wiper system from motor to switch through firewall and all is great.
Wish POs would not touch things they don't know about.

Thanks for all the replies.

Dennis.

So then if there is really no clear cut rules to follow, I talked to a seller of mopar parts on pleebay and he said that a 3 speed wiper switch only fits into a rally dash and can not fit into a standard.....,but if the 3 speed is shorter than the standard 2 speed switch, why would not the smaller fit into the standard dash, if you get my point?
Please bare with me...even though I have worked on mopars for a long time, I never needed to tear down a whole dash as I am doing now to fix so many PO's wiring hacks. The wiper problem is just one in several I am chasing down and rewiring.

He is wrong,my 74Satellite Sundance standard dash has a 3spd switch and I put it into my rally cluster but if I remember corectly I had to also swap over the heater/a/c control to make it work because the two interfered with each other.I just remembered that the non rally head light switch was way to long and I had to reuse the one from the rally.

I did some digging and found a few pic's from when I swapped my standard dash over to a rally.On the left of the pic you can see the 3spd wiper switch.
Paint layout 001.jpgPaint layout 007.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here this might help......

NOS 72-4 SATELLITE,CHARGER 3SPD WIPER SWITCH W/O RALLY

72-74 3spd wiper switch non rally.jpg

71 72 73 74 roadrunner gtx charger 3 speed WIPER SWITCH cuda challenger e b body

3 3spd wiper 71- 74  rally dash.jpg

Hey 74Sundance, thanks for the reply and great pics. I knew he was wrong but needed to have more expertise from people on this forum
who have done this before.

Auto Transport Service
Back