• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Sebring “plus?” Need help determining if I should sell this or restore it? Value as is?

Put enough into it to get it running, driving and stopping then go out and have fun in it. If you decide you really like it then put a little more into it and make better and better (or sell it off as a running/driving project).

You can do a lot with a little and actually enjoy the car without "restoring" it. Also it worth a lot more if it runs and drives.
Damn you. Lol now I don’t know what to do!!! You make such a good argument. I thought I had it all figured out. I think this may be the best plan. If I could get a few burnouts, at least it would make it all worthwhile. That has positive traction correct ? Or it should at least ? Again, thanks so much for all you guys help and guidance. I didn’t have to wait long at all for an answer. And I’ve had some fun along the way.

I fail to see how getting a free classic car worth a couple Gs is "getting screwed"? I'd love to have this car for free!
Sorry about the 68 and your relationship with your dad, ....that sux.

I would say 24 years later that it is time to move on. So.... If you don't love the 73, clean it up, make it roll on some used tires and sell it for maybe $2-3k. That's a good start to buying a project that you are more interested in and don't have bad feelings about.

I was just being humorous, that's all. Sometimes a typed sentence doesn't accurately convey the intent. Now, you want me to say something bad about Don Frelier ??? No way !! He's a good, knowlegeable contributor to this site !! I didn't think he like vans ( do you, Don ? ) and he is not a jerk !
No I meant my dad was a jerk ect I was kidding. I do not know anyone here well enough to insult I would never. Sorry if anyone thought I was talking about them. And I was being silly as well but also telling the truth about the situation.

Damn you. Lol now I don’t know what to do!!! You make such a good argument. I thought I had it all figured out. I think this may be the best plan. If I could get a few burnouts, at least it would make it all worthwhile. That has positive traction correct ? Or it should at least ? Again, thanks so much for all you guys help and guidance. I didn’t have to wait long at all for an answer. And I’ve had some fun along the way.
Most of the best times I have ever had in an automobile have been in a beater tear ***'ing around (think Road Kill style).

As far as the "posi" (Sure grip in Mopar speak), hard to say but probably not since a Sebring Plus was a luxury car although it could be ordered with a Sure Grip rearend center section.

No I meant my dad was a jerk ect I was kidding. I do not know anyone here well enough to insult I would never. Sorry if anyone thought I was talking about them. And I was being silly as well but also telling the truth about the situation.
Oh, I know... again, I was just kidding about Don, he is a very knowledgeable member on this site. We like to have fun here.

find yourself a 68 like the one you had...... they are out there

that thing is a turd

I was serious about the tires. People will comment on the car they bought had new tires. But they are one of the easiest things to replace.
I never buy a car based on tires but I might talk you down on the price if it needs tires.

Tons of bad juju with that car; and nothing but bad memories.

Do not spend any money on it. Place a Craigslist ad for $800 and quickly get rid of that thing; lock, stock, and barrel.

You could always get a set of used tires from a "You Pull It", get it running, brakes ect. Stop by your dad's with it and do a smoky burnout in his driveway. Then sell it.

Do I have a useless turd worth $1000 as parts car or since I got it for free is it worth all the money and time restoring it? Just feel like it’s not the car to put all my money and time in is all but even though I got screwed I’m still a nice guy and don’t want to sell something someone gave me.

Rule #1) DO NOT take possession of or put money into a car that is NOT titled in your name. That's a losing propositional the way around.
Rule #2) See rule #1.

How can you sell a car with no title and ever hope to get ahead on the deal?

What if you put more money into it and he claims ownership because he found the title and you have no bill of sale?

What if you part it out and he claims ownership (again he finds the title and you have no bill of sale) and wants the car or the money back?

This is not 'free'. This is not a 'gift'. Someone handed you their problem and you accepted it. You just paid to clear junk off his land. Quit doing business with this guy; relative or not. He does not have your best interest in mind.

This is not a driver, this is not a project. You don't have the time or money to get this car where it needs to be. It's a turd you willingly took possession of.

You have no legal recourse to defend or protect yourself no matter how you proceed.

Accept that you got screwed and get out from underneath it as quickly as you can. Move on.

Last edited:
I ended up with a beater SS "plus" 15 years ago and we have put 96K miles on it so far. Its been a blast to drive, junk yard transmissions, homemade dual exhaust, 318 that loves oil and hates cold starts. just driving it might lessen the sting and build new memories

Do I have a useless turd worth $1000 as parts car or since I got it for free is it worth all the money and time restoring it? Just feel like it’s not the car to put all my money and time in is all but even though I got screwed I’m still a nice guy and don’t want to sell something someone gave me.

Rule #1) DO NOT take possession of or put money into a car that is NOT titled in your name. That's a losing propositional the way around.
Rule #2) See rule #1.

How can you sell a car with no title and ever hope to get ahead on the deal?

What if you put more money into it and he claims ownership because he found the title and you have no bill of sale?

What if you part it out and he claims ownership (again he finds the title and you have no bill of sale) and wants the car or the money back?

This is not 'free'. This is not a 'gift'. Someone handed you their problem and you accepted it. You just paid to clear junk off his land. Quit doing business with this guy; relative or not. He does not have your best interest in mind.

This is not a driver, this is not a project. You don't have the time or money to get this car where it needs to be. It's a turd you willing took possession of.

You have no legal recourse to defend or protect yourself no matter how you proceed.

Accept that you got screwed and get out from underneath it as quickly as you can. Move on.
Hurts to hear the truth sometimes. Ouch. But you’re right dude. Thanks….. but I already knew all that just hurts to hear from somebody else.

You could always get a set of used tires from a "You Pull It", get it running, brakes ect. Stop by your dad's with it and do a smoky burnout in his driveway. Then sell it.
So the plan is to spend minimum amount to get tires and gas tank I think it needs and plugs fluids ect distributor you name it. Easy bolt on stuff and enjoy it? I was told it runs if good compression on the cylinders I might get lucky on the rest of the engine.

So the plan is to spend minimum amount to get tires and gas tank I think it needs and plugs fluids ect distributor you name it. Easy bolt on stuff and enjoy it? I was told it runs if good compression on the cylinders I might get lucky on the rest of the engine.
I’ll keep posted as I make progress, fight my father, or sell this joker. Thanks again for all the support I feel better for real. Good group here. John’s always here if you need me. On gta v lot.

Unless you make a high dollar pro touring car with all the bells and whistles like a roadster shop / schwartz performance chassis and a huge engine out of it, its not worth restoring this car financially.
As others have said, since you do not seem to like it very much, do not put any money into it.

You can probably sell the hood alone for $700. These cars are becoming harder and harder to come by.

I'm a fan of making it run and drive, making some new memories in it, and then deciding what you want to do. At the end of the day, it's a 51 year old car. They won't ever be made again. Part it out, run it into the ground, spiff it up...it just depends on what you have going on and your priorities. I cuss and whine about my beater 73, but at the end of the day, I love having it and working on it even if it will never be worth anything.

Not sure that's even a Sebring, much less a Plus.

RH is a Sebring.

G is a 318.

Hood is worth at least $500 and if not rusted $1000

400 and parts is another $500 to $1000 if it turns and runs.

$100 each for slot rims, maybe more if they are 15", and even more if they are NOT uni-lug.

I agree with 69coronetRT

DO NOT spend any money on a car with no title.

DO NOT spend any money on a car that came from someone that gave you a car previously and then took it back.

GET A BILL OF SALE, or better, the title.

If you get a BOS, you can part it out. With a title (make sure it matches the VIN), if you really want to "restore" a 318 Satellite- it's an option.
Or at least make it so it runs and/or drives.

IMO after six weeks from the date I requested a title/BOS, if I didn't have it, I'd tow it back.

NOTE- I AM a 318 Satellite guy!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back