• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Sebring “plus?” Need help determining if I should sell this or restore it? Value as is?

rossachata

Local time
3:18 AM
Reaction score
My father gave me a 1968 roadrunner 383 4 speed car for my hs graduation present. When I returned a few years later he sold it like a dick didn’t give me the money and ended up giving me this 73 Sebring on way worse shape he claims is “more desirable” haha yea right. But my friend says it’s barely worth $1000 as it sits and won’t be worth anymore than I put into it. It has a 400 big block from what I can tell and transmission. Supposedly ran when parked 15-20 years now. Do I have a useless turd worth $1000 as parts car or since I got it for free is it worth all the money and time restoring it? Just feel like it’s not the car to put all my money and time in is all but even though I got screwed I’m still a nice guy and don’t want to sell something someone gave me. Sounds so dumb caring about him when he sold the 68 roadrunner I spent so much time in as a child. I had feelings for that car. Thanks for you guys time for any answers you may give. Just don’t give me a good answer then sell it to someone else when I’m not looking…. Lol

73067446136__453FF389-08F5-4A5D-B949-91AC76D32937.jpeg

73067464504__C9D156C3-0C40-4FAA-ADCD-004260BAD52E.jpeg

73074156813__BB24669E-A395-48D8-A467-E29338C8FDF2.jpeg

73074158166__1B30232F-49A4-44E5-BD64-90378D9BF02A.jpeg

73074159038__8A8417F0-7B06-4CCA-A4C1-E785A30A63C4.jpeg

73074160545__7E9F6A75-A694-4405-BA3C-7C7D7EC17F70.jpeg

73074162664__4F3FDB6A-0A75-4619-9144-EC0E49AA18E4.jpeg

73074163589__9BE4A69D-BA3F-4083-AFBB-0C5350DEDEA0.jpeg

73074164722__CFB17C59-1F6D-4AD2-8C4E-5A1890933C34.jpeg

73074228778__FEA73268-29B4-457B-9729-8B2D82521D93.jpeg

This is what you need to ask- Is this my dream car? Its getting more expensive everyday to do these cars. You will speed tons on money so do the car you love. So much cheaper in the long run. JMO ,sorry he sold the RR.

Does your father may have either a drug or gambling problem?
You might be able to get $2,000 for it.
See if you can get tires for starters.

I think that is a very inappropriate comment. Some people do like Chevys, Fords, or even worse... foreign cars. { humor intended }

Last edited:
He’s just an asshole and an Indian giver. His exuse was I hadn’t restored it at the age 19 when I made $6 an hour at bi-lo. I asked him how many he has completed….0 he has tons of classic cars and is just stingy and a jerk. I hate I spend the $150 to have it towed home now. Should have just left it in his way.

I think that is a very inappropriate comment. Some people do like Chevys, Fords, or even worse... foreign cars.
No it’s not my dad is a jerk and does things like that to me. When you give someone something it’s theirs. You don’t consider selling it it wasn’t supposed to be his to sell anymore. But I didn’t magically have 15,000$ at 18 to soend fixing it so I obviously didn’t need it. Lol I would never do that. This guy didn’t hurt my feelings at all he made me feel good. Someone else say something bad about him please. He likes vans, what else he talks with his mouth full. What a jerk.

He’s just an asshole and an Indian giver. His exuse was I hadn’t restored it at the age 19 when I made $6 an hour at bi-lo. I asked him how many he has completed….0 he has tons of classic cars and is just stingy and a jerk. I hate I spend the $150 to have it towed home now. Should have just left it in his way.
Seriously, sorry to hear that. If what you say is true, that's a shame.

I already have $150 tow bill in it if it’s only worth $1500-2000 I hate to have more money on tires that isn’t gonna add to the value. Anyone in Tennesse and want this turd ? I mean amazing automobile ? Lol seriously any offers? Oh yes no title either. Lol what a dick the more I think about this the madder I get. Didn’t realize the car was such a turd until this morning it was always buried under a bunch of brush ect in mud I never researched it I was so mad about my 68. FYI he sold that 68 in the year 2000 24 years ago and he has yet to restore a single of his many classic cars maybe I should sell them all since he “isn’t doing anything” with them? Haha

Seriously, sorry to hear that. If what you say is true, that's a shame.
I’m not making it up for sympathy. Lol you don’t know the half of it. Profits off of me financially constantly. His idea of “helping me “ is not profiting as much off of me as he normally would so even when he “helps” me he still wins. Haha I guess I should learn from him but I don’t want to be that kind of man. Thanks guys for the laughs and the advice on the car seriously. You confirmed what I thought. Screwed again. He just wanted it moved out of his way it seems.

IMO. You can restore it to what it was from the factory and sell it for 20-25K, after putting around 30K into it (net loss).
You can restore it as a RR and have some 25-30K into it and sell if for around 25K (still a net loss).
The above figures are if you do a good chunk of the work on it.
This one is not a money maker by any means. If you love it and want to keep it, by all means, go for it.
Sounds like you would much rather have a 68/69 in your garage.
Sell it whole, or part it out, that is the best advice I can give to you. The fenders and quarters are worth a lot if money if in good condition.
They look good when they are done, but they take a lot of $$$$$$ to get there
Better to spend those monies on something you love, and intend to keep.

Put enough into it to get it running, driving and stopping then go out and have fun in it. If you decide you really like it then put a little more into it and make better and better (or sell it off as a running/driving project).

You can do a lot with a little and actually enjoy the car without "restoring" it. Also it worth a lot more if it runs and drives.

looks like a Perfect beater to drive around and even to shows...
believe it or not,ten times more people will walk up to That car and say i remember these,
than the 100% restored car next to it.

if you do sell it to someone who Will Keep it,its not gonna bring a lot,maybe 3 grand the way its sitting maybe ??
but it sure will put a lot of smiles on peoples faces to see it around.

you might make more parting it,but do you want the car to be saved or parted...is the question.
Edit: i just saw the no title comment..man..this is a lost cause without a title........

Need pics of; the trunk floor, under front carpet, frame where torsion bars attach and where rear springs attach front and rear, bottom of rear window and cowl area below the front window with leaves removed. Those are the usual rust areas.

Looks worth restoring to me for a driver. Not too desirable of body style, but it has all the windows and trim and not been crashed and metal is not rusted through, clean it up remove carpet, pressure wash and it should sell on EBay for 3-5k, hood and motor/trans would be worth $1000 alone.

Should have put RR title in your name when given to you, probably got offered too much money for it.

No it’s not my dad is a jerk and does things like that to me. When you give someone something it’s theirs. You don’t consider selling it it wasn’t supposed to be his to sell anymore. But I didn’t magically have 15,000$ at 18 to soend fixing it so I obviously didn’t need it. Lol I would never do that. This guy didn’t hurt my feelings at all he made me feel good. Someone else say something bad about him please. He likes vans, what else he talks with his mouth full. What a jerk.
I was just being humorous, that's all. Sometimes a typed sentence doesn't accurately convey the intent. Now, you want me to say something bad about Don Frelier ??? No way !! He's a good, knowlegeable contributor to this site !! I didn't think he like vans ( do you, Don ? ) and he is not a jerk !

I would need way more detailed pics. Is this completely rotted underneath? Frame rails shot? Can you get it running and driving? That alone would make it worth more than $1K in my book.

Just leave it as as a beater like others have said. Get some brakes, tires, get it running and that's it. I wouldn't even wash the moss off it. It's actually kind of cool that way in my opinion. Definitely wouldn't spend a bunch of money on it. You'll always be thinking about how your dad screwed you over if you spend a bunch of money on it.

My uncle gave an 63/64 impala to my cousin. Cousin painted it and spent time making it nice. Uncle asked him to come get it from his garage but he didn't get to it on time. Uncle sold it and my cousin won't talk to him to this day.

Look at it this way, it is worth more than what you can get for it. I f you need a big block engine and transmission one day,you have them. If you need an 8 3/4 rear end,you have one. Driveshaft,gotcha.
You may find a nice car one day that needs a drive train,or a small block car you want to put a big block in. Sell the hood and whatever of the interior you can but consider keeping the rest. You might be glad you did one day.

There is no way that I would restore that car, unless it had a major sentimental connection. You have made it clear that it doesn't. Why don't you sell that 73 and start looking for a 68 Runner?

Auto Transport Service
Back