• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Taillights/housings

Chad Witham

Local time
12:54 PM
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what is broke but the drivers side housing (i believe) is cracked, if it is the housing are they all interchangeable? Any repop ones? Where to look for used if no repop ones?

just 73 and 74 are interchangeable using the same lenses... even with SEs just than SEs are chromed.

no repros, just used around. Good luck

What exactly is wrong with the one you have besides "cracked"? Any pics?

If you zoom in on the drivers side light there is a big chunk of what I think is the housing missing about three ribs from the left.
F6733927-176B-490A-B799-7BB86B33509C.jpeg

cracked and missed piece!!!

mine is cracked but have all the pieces. Needing one too, same side. I don't want to fix it again! Don't need the lense and even I don't care the wiring ( mine was NOS 10 years ago, but it seems replacement parts are not same quality than factory installed pieces ), because I can transplant the wiring from mine

Eeek, yeah that isn't a quick and easy repair. If it were the tabs on the back, those are easy to modify.
Yes, used or NOS is the only way right now. I was told by several companies that because they are so expensive to make, we Charger guys won't pay the price. Naturally they want to make a fortune as well. But that has driven up the cost of NOS and used ones to ridiculous prices. Just keep and eye out swap meets and Ebay. They'll turn up. You are lucky if you are not looking for SE ones. You can paint them argent and restore. SE ones are chromed and almost always no good used.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-1974-...h=item2f290264eb:g:oFUAAOSwnWpcKAsK:rk:1:pf:0

73-74 tail light assemblies are not that hard to find in good shape at a reasonable cost. I would focus more on getting that out in the sunlight, cleaning it up, and driving it!

Well I haven't found one latelly in decent conditions yet AND affordable.

( true is due my actually economic situation at this moment I just can go dirty cheap )

73-74 tail light assemblies are not that hard to find in good shape at a reasonable cost. I would focus more on getting that out in the sunlight, cleaning it up, and driving it!

We are 1-3 weeks or so out from that happening, no reason I can’t begin searching for parts known to need replacement.

73-74 tail light assemblies are not that hard to find in good shape at a reasonable cost.
Not the SE ones. They are all beat unless they are NOS. And no one wants to try chroming them because of the sockets being molded into the plastic.
Sorry, NOS prices are a little out of my reach. $1200 for the grilles is ridiculous too but at least they are available.

My 73 Charger is from California, and the taillights and the rear bumper were in very good condition. I put 71 Charger R /T taillights in my car. A guy that I spoke to at Carlisle was desperately looking for nice taillights and a rear bumper. He traded me a whole 73 Charger parts car,minus the engine and trans for the rear bumper and taillights. Nice ones are hard to find.
20171102_074632.jpg

T2R9 would you please tell me where I can find those not to hard to find tail light housings? I need a left but would buy the pair if need be for a non S/E. But I don't want to make payments on them.

Both tail light housings on my 73 are broken to pieces, no saving them. They will need to be replaced when I get to that point.
20181211-130124.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back