• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 360 "L" code air cleaner options

weaz4200

Local time
7:23 AM
Reaction score
So I'm curious if someone can shed some light on the subject.

NICKS GARAGE site has a long list of air cleaners... I'm curious about this one in particular...

1974 360 4-Barrel for B-bodies. Has flap in floor that opens at full throttle to allow more air in.

74_360_01.jpg

74_360_02.jpg

74_360_03.jpg

How many different ones were available for the 74 360? Is this the one that is supposed to be on my 360 "L" code? Did some come with the flap door cleaner and some without?

I ask because mine currently has what looks to be the
1975-76 360 A and B-Body. No flap in bottom

75_360_A_01.jpg

75_360_bbody_01.jpg

What is the likelyhood that the 75-76 one is correct? Car build date was June 74...

Any light on this situation?

Thanks.

72 340 had the same flap deal. Maybe that's what you have.

I think you have an A or E-body air cleaner there. I have several later B bodies (two 74's and a 75) and they all have the black air cleaner shown in your photos.
I have seen the orange air cleaner on 74 360 E-bodies and A-bodies.

While this air cleaner looks similar to the 72-style with the trap door, it has an oval snorkel whereas the 72 air cleaner has a rectangular snorkel.
Hope this helps.

ChipinAZ

One thing to notice, is the orange air cleaner you have pictured has the OSAC Valve on the air cleaner. Does your car have OSAC on the fire wall? If yes, then the orange air cleaner is not correct for your car and likely the black one is the one for your car.

I have seen the orange air cleaner on 74 360 E-bodies and A-bodies.
So you don't think a black version of that air cleaner would have made it's way onto the 360 bbody?

I haveseveral later B bodies (two 74's and a 75) and they allhave the black air cleaner shown in your photos.
Are your 74/75 the 360's? Didn't have a trap door?

Doesyour car have OSAC on the fire wall?
No. It's on the air cleaner just like the orange one has

I would try to find an orange one then.

I also take Nicks Garage with a grain of salt because his site shows that 73 340 didn't have the trap door in the bottom, but I know an original 73 340 RR that has one, and I own two air cleaners that have the trap door and one that doesn't. So, as most Mopar folks are aware, Chrysler was notorious for using left over parts between model years, which explains why some things appear in early versions of the next model year that technically are from the previous year or even other models!

Yep, I get it, I thought the air cleaner I had was original until I saw another RR with the trap door version. They also could vary between models, black on charger and orange on roadrunner as well as between different body types. I say, get what you like, unless you are going for stock concourse restoration.

Would be nice to know if there was a black 360 cleaner with flap door in general. All I've seen are orange.

I say, get what you like, unless you are going for stock concourse restoration.

Concourse... I can't afford that... Plus that extreme is not my thing.

Stock.... this is kinda what I'm shooting for.

My uncle bought the car new from Mr Norms dealership back in 74... So obviously it's been in the family since. Worked it's way down to my dad... then he passed and now it's mine.

I've been slowly going through and tackling different little things... Now my focus has shifted to tracking down what originally came on the car.

So no... not concourse but as close to original as it was back in 74.

Plus a 74 RALLYE Charger with a 360 "L" code plus some of the other odd options it has deserves to be preserved.

So you don't think a black version of that air cleaner would have made it's way onto the 360 bbody?
I've never seen a black B body air cleaner with the trapdoor.

Are your 74/75 the 360's? Didn't have a trap door?
I have an L code '74 Road Runner a '74 L code Charger Rallye and a '75 L code Daytona Charger. All have the black B body type air cleaner without trapdoor. The '74 Charger and Road Runner are St. Louis cars and the '75 Charger is a Windsor car. The Road Runner is a 11/12/73 build date. The Rallye is a 01/11/74 build date and the Daytona is a 5/1/75 build date. Could there have been a few orange 73 style air cleaners in 74? Sure, the factories used whatever was on-hand. My Rallye is untouched and has a '73 hood on it. Mid year build date too. Go figure.

Air cleaners are easily swapped out and were usually the first thing to go when they were "hot-rodded".
No. It's on the air cleaner just like the orange one has

Then Im gonna say that this Orange 74 360 oval long nose snorkel with trap door doesnt exist.

Its probably a hybrid mix between a top/cover from a 74 360 A/E body and the base from a 74 440...

Put those 2 together and theres the supposed Orange 74 360 oval long nose snorkel with trap door

hybrid.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back