• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOR SALE 1974 Charger Rallye 400, 30 Factory Options, Matching #s, Excellent Condition/Detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhauser

Local time
7:29 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
This is a long ad, so if details bore you, move along. I assume you guys like details and hopefully it will answer many of your questions. This car is being offered exclusively here first before wider advertising commences.

I'm a new member with a '71 Bee I want to restore, (see thread here) http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...om-the-Heartland-1971-Super-Bee-N96-Hideaways, and would like to sell this car to help with that.

1974 Dodge Charger Rallye 400. This is a super clean, fully restored and detailed car. It currently has a NOM 440 in it, but the complete carb-to-pan original 400 comes with the car. Original 727 trans and rear are already in it. It's a correct FE5 Rally red car with white vinyl top, white bucket interior, and black accent stripes. It's also a two tag car, with both present, and COMPLETELY LOADED with 30 factory options. I'd wager most of you, like me, have never seen a Mopar this loaded. It's also interesting to see an example of Mother Mopar's very last muscle car gasp "built to the hilt" as it were, even though the muscle car craze was firmly in the rear view mirror by '74. This is truly a unique piece that I hope some Mopar nut will appreciate as much as I do. The list of options is as follows:

A57 - Rallye Package
E68 - 400 4bbl 8 cyl HP engine
M52 - Manual Sun Roof w/vinyl roof
H51 - Single AC w/heating
D34 - Torqueflight transmission
P31 - Power windows
N88 - Cruise control
B41 - Front heavy duty disc brakes
N85 - Factory tachometer
C16 - Console w/woodgrain
C56 - Dual bucket seats
D6XW - Deluxe vinyl buckets white/black
R35 - AM/FM multi-plex stereo
V21 - Performance hood treatment
V6X - Longitudinal stripes, black
V1W - Full vinyl roof, white
J45 - Hood pins w/lanyards
J25 - 3 speed wipers
G55, G65, G75 - Dual painted racing mirrors, dr side remote
L31 - Fender mounted turn signals
J54 - Sport hood w/insulation pad
J52 - Inside hood release
N42 - Chrome exhaust tips
N41 - Dual exhaust, w/o tips
M25 - Wide sill moldings
M21 - Roof drip rail moldings
M31 - Belt and hood moldings
M26 - Wheel lip moldings

This car also has a complete rear defroster set up, including backlight, motor, & controls under dash, but I couldn't find the code on the fender tag (possibly dealer installed?)

Amazingly, the original 1974 full-size General brand spare tire is still in the trunk. While we're here, the trunk is clean, detailed, and has a new correct mat.

The 440 runs excellent, and has a Demon 4bbl carb on the original manifold. Has its original exhaust manifolds. Entire engine bay is clean and detailed. The cruise is all there, but not hooked up. The unique washer bottle is also present and mounted correctly on opposite side (due to cruise unit). The air is all there with the exception of a line going to the firewall. The valve covers & air cleaner were blasted & painted, along with new callouts. Master cylinder and battery is new, and a mini-starter has been installed for effortless cranking. New "440 Magnum" emblems adorn the hood and look fantastic.

Inside, the manual sun roof opens and closes perfectly. The factory tach works great. I believe even the AM/FM works as well. The power windows all work, although one button on driver's door is occasionally uncooperative. The glass on the car is immaculate. The interior has new seat covers, the door panels are excellent, and the carpet is new. Headliner is nice, and the dash is in very nice shape, with an excellent fitting dash cap installed (at least I think it's a cap, pretty hard to tell really). The console is nice, and the carpet is new. The doors open and close perfectly.

The body is excellent, with very nice, smooth paint in its original colors. The hood, decklid, fenders, and doors are all straight, rust-free and fit well. The rear quarters were replaced before I got the car, and in good shape, with only a very minor bubble here and there (nothing larger than pencil eraser). The hood and side stripes are expertly applied and look fantastic. I added a correct front chin spoiler for a little added aggression. The tires are new BFG Radial TAs all around mounted on 15" rallye wheels with polished trim rings. The front and rear bumpers are clean, straight, and shine, but the chrome is original, and could stand to be rechromed to match the condition of the rest of the car. Taillights are in excellent shape, and reverse lenses are not yellowed out. Although not pictured, the car comes with a blasted & painted 1974 Kansas license plate.

I did a complete undercarriage detail of this car and found ZERO rust in the trunk pan, rails, and floors. It is as solid as you will ever find. While I know doing some body-color painting would've been more correct, I chose to mask off everything and use professional grade undercoating on the floors, wheel wells, and gas tank. Rear end was wheeled, primed, and painted in several coats. Same for the rear springs, as well as the entire front suspension. The front suspension had been rebuilt prior to me getting the car, so all those parts were/are in excellent shape, including all new subframe bushings. Everything under front of car was wheeled, primed, and painted to closely match factory, but I will not say it's 100% perfectly correct.

While especially nice, the car isn't perfect, and I've mentioned those minor imperfections above. I'm sure there's a couple I've overlooked, but ask me if you're unsure. This is an honest, real, and completely loaded Charger Rallye 400 with many rare and desirable options, colors, and original/preservation you won't find easily, if at all. I'm pricing the car at $25,900 or best offer. I realize that may seem high to some of you, but if truly giving proper weight to all the factors, I don't think it's out of line. Serious, legitimate offers considered. Not interested in trading at this time, unless you just have an over-the-top deal I can't refuse.

I have tons of pictures of all areas of the car, so you shouldn't be lacking in information.

Thanks for reading, and Happy New Year to everyone. whole1.jpgpqtr5.jpgpfender2.jpghood2.jpgdqtr1.jpgddoor2.jpgwhole11.jpgwhole8.jpgwhole3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I will attach more pics as I figure out how this odd software works.

BTW, both the "Fasten seat belts" light just under the top of the dash and the seatbelt light/buzzer on the lower dash still work! (You may find that annoying, but I think it's cool!)

Attachments

• int3.jpg
    int3.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 977
  • int4.jpg
    int4.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 989
  • int5.jpg
    int5.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,013
  • int6.jpg
    int6.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 974
  • int9.jpg
    int9.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 976
  • int10.jpg
    int10.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 958
  • int11.jpg
    int11.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 987
  • int12.jpg
    int12.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 985
  • int13.jpg
    int13.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 976
  • int14.jpg
    int14.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 988
  • int16.jpg
    int16.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 989
  • int17.jpg
    int17.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 965
Last edited:
This uploading software does some weird stuff. I tried to upload chassis and engine pics in separate replies, but it mixed them altogether for some reason, and I'm tired of messing with it after over an hour....so.....Here are various undercarriage and engine pics. Note the plug on passenger side is not seen, but it's there, it just slipped up into the interior under the carpet.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to try and add some trunk and other pics. Hopefully they won't end up all over this thread like my last attempt, but the impt thing is they are here (somewhere).trunk2.jpgtrunk1.jpgtrunk3.jpgtrunk4.jpgtrunk5.jpgtrunk7.jpgtrunk8.jpgtrunk10.jpg

Attachments

• chassis2.jpg
    chassis2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 923
  • chassis5.jpg
    chassis5.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 952
  • chassis6.jpg
    chassis6.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 941
  • chassis7.jpg
    chassis7.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 944
  • chassis10.jpg
    chassis10.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 912
  • chassis11.jpg
    chassis11.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 914
  • chassis13.jpg
    chassis13.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 906
  • chassis14.jpg
    chassis14.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 897
  • chassis19.jpg
    chassis19.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 929
  • chassis21.jpg
    chassis21.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 898
  • chassis23.jpg
    chassis23.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 884
  • chassis26.jpg
    chassis26.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 919
  • chassis31.jpg
    chassis31.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 894
  • eng3.jpg
    eng3.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 934
  • eng12.jpg
    eng12.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 910
  • eng13.jpg
    eng13.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 942
  • eng14.jpg
    eng14.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 918
  • eng15.jpg
    eng15.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 918
  • eng17.jpg
    eng17.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 895
  • eng18.jpg
    eng18.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 922
Last edited:
Very nice I'll bet somebody was very happy with it back in 1974 and it's still kick ***

Thanks. It's too bad the the 72-74s don't command the same respect as earlier Chargers, but this is a special one and I hope it finds a good Mopar home. I'm going to give it a week or two here on this board exclusively, then if no interest, a 1-time shot on ebay, and then I'll consign it to a Mecum auction, probably in Houston or Kansas City. One way or the other, it will be sold by spring, so if interested, please get in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back