• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Roadrunner fuel system options?

KnuckleDuster

Local time
6:48 AM
Reaction score
Helping a bud with his 74 Roadrunner and the tank and probably lines are full of trash.
He wants a new tank and lines.
Right now he has a stock setup with a stock type 25gph mechanical pump. I'm more of an A-body guy, so not too familiar with what is available.
The car has a 340 with a mild cam, so not too racy at the moment, but I have a feeling he will want to go faster later on, so was thinking possibly something with baffles and/or a sump if not crazy expensive and too much modification.
Not looking to go to an electric pump, but not absolutely opposed to it, if it is part of a good system, reliable, and quiet.
Otherwise just a good stock type tank, pickup and lines in 3/8".
What's out there for these cars?

I've never found a quiet electric fuel pump. I think your buddy should probably look at a good mechanical pump (Edelbrock) & the 3/8" fuel line + 3/8" fuel pickup/tank sending unit like you mentioned. Also, the factory-style tank should be just fine. For the fuel lines, you might find some at inline tube (?). note: stainless lines are REALLY hard to cut/re-flare if you want to modify anything.

If you can't find any pre-bent fuel lines for a '74, you may have to go "old school" and bend your own. If this is the case, maybe use aluminum fuel line since you can bend it by hand. Also, if you can't find an aftermarket gas tank, you might be able to clean it & coat it inside with an epoxy OR if you find a few pinholes, get a radiator shop to braze those shut.

The (only) quiet electric pumps I ever heard are mounted inside the tank, the way most new cars and trucks are. I used to use brake lines for fuel, but because most of the material these days is from the Chineseum, they rust out quickly, even when painted or undercoated. I do however, love the new copper impregnated brake lines. They are super easy to bend, easy to flare, don't rust at all, and are not expensive. They are also not only available in different lengths, but by the roll. I'm not sure about reactivity with gasoline, but they work just fine for brakes. :)

I installed the venerable Carter M6903 mech fuel pump for my 440+6.
It is THE go to for a mech fuel pump for HP big blocks, 440+6 and Hemis.
Stock fuel pressure (4-6 lbs) but 120 gph!
Mancini is who I got it from.

I'm not sure about reactivity with gasoline, but they work just fine for brakes. :)
Copper has no issue with gasoline. To the best of my knowledge, for all metals, it's the water that gets into the gasoline from the ethanol that causes corrosion.

Helping a bud with his 74 Roadrunner and the tank and probably lines are full of trash.
He wants a new tank and lines.
Right now he has a stock setup with a stock type 25gph mechanical pump. I'm more of an A-body guy, so not too familiar with what is available.
The car has a 340 with a mild cam, so not too racy at the moment, but I have a feeling he will want to go faster later on, so was thinking possibly something with baffles and/or a sump if not crazy expensive and too much modification.
Not looking to go to an electric pump, but not absolutely opposed to it, if it is part of a good system, reliable, and quiet.
Otherwise just a good stock type tank, pickup and lines in 3/8".
What's out there for these cars?
I have a 340 in my 73 with higher compression and crane 272 cam, I am running stock lines and pump and thermoquad, and no issues with that setup. Just and fyi for you.

Auto Transport Service
Back