• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 dodge coronet

kariann

Local time
9:42 AM
Reaction score
my name is kari i ran across this website and joined i have a 1975 dodge coronet that i am restoring i put new 318 motor in with 4 barrel carb. and now wanting to put in dual header exhaust but having trouble locating can any one help.:icon_eyes:

You're in the right place, Kariann. Welcome to FBBO.
I think just about any of the late-B body headers will work on your 75. How much you want to pay is up to you. Summit Racing has em for around a hundred bucks. Shumaker will sell you a set for around $800, I think. I'm not sure if any of the exhaust "kits" will work right out of the box, there might be a little customizing to be done, but that's usually the case with our cars, taking parts meant for more "desirable" cars and making them work for us.
I used to have a 75 Coronet too, although I never did much to it 'cept drive the wizz out of it. I'm considering buying another one, either that or a 76 Monaco I'm looking at (had one of those before, too).

Gotta put some pictures up, let's see it.

Welcome.

You may want to do a search here, and on the FABO site about pros and cons of headers.

There are good arguments from both camps.

Hi Kari and welcome. Something else you should look into being in the great emmisions state of California is if you can legally eliminate the catalytic converter. They're pretty strict about that stuff. I also agree with YY1 about the pros and cons of headers.Good luck. Bruce

KariAnn, welcome aboard!

I'm a 20 year '79 Dodge Magnum owner. Our cars under pinning are the same. There are basically 2 types of headers.

The cheap one size fits all has a few cons that suck!
First con is there a pain to install. You'll invent new cuss word while doing the job.

You'll probably need a friend and a hoist.

3 drivers side exhaust tubes run under the front end linkage. You probably need to replace some bushings when you dismantle the tie rods to install the headers.

These 3 tubes are now closer to the ground and with a 99% probability, you'll smash these three tubes on a speed bump, road debris or just in simple jounce due to a bump or pot hole.

The expensive units are so very worth it because of the quality workmen ship, easier installation and no tunes to smash on the road.

Headers by Doug (I have no exp. W/them)

TTI headers are a stepped header and fit great

Hooker Super Comp headers. I have used these myself.

As far as exhaust goes, I have fabbed up my own to the mufflers. For over the axle pipe, I used 2-1/2 pipe listed to be used for a 70 Road Runner. No problems there.

You could use a system from tti, Jegs or Summit with little hassle.

headers on a 318 is a very bad idea, they produce lots of heat under your hood.
causes coil and gas line to heat up. that causes ballast resistor to pop.
use your standard manifolds, I did that with my 69 Coronet with a 318.
I also used extra coil wiring to move coil to firewall.
solved many problems with heat issue.

I went with the new Magnaflow series glasspacks 26 inch long 2 inch pipes.
sounds deep with a tiny rumble

I hope this helps you... Joe

- - - Updated - - -

dual setup straight back.

Glad I have a 1974 Dodge Coronet and not a '75 as that year was the year all cars had to have catalytic converters. :toothy5: I had the annoyance of the Seat Belt Interlock (since disabled) on my 74 to deal with but at least I don't have a cat. I'm not sure what the legal requirement is for cats on cars that had them from new as concerns headers but I'd check that out if I were you.

dual setup straight back.

This is all news to me about parts going bad like that with headers. I've put headers on everything I've ever owned and I have never had your issues. WOW!

i no longer have catalytic converters i had them taken off thank you for responding

- - - Updated - - -

thank you for responding i will post pics soon i promise she is primered right now in the process of being painted marine blue she has air shocks and her *** end is lifted big wide tires in back shes my baby

Welcome to FBBO Look for headers that fit a 74 Charger which will be a direct bolt on.

Did you have to smog that thing or is it 75 and older are exempt?

I have to TOTALLY agree with Rumble..I have a VERY well built 360 (bored .060 and stroked) that generates a fair amount of heat ..BUT have NEVER had a component failure under the hood (ie coil, ign pack, wiring) been running headers since day one, and this car gets run REALLY hard, and I live in the deep south where summer time temps get blazing hot

hello every one this is kari i have a question and i need my mopar mens advice lol i have a 1975 dodge coronet 318 duel exhaust 4 barrel carb. totally suped up and my sons friend has a 2005 chevy malibu v6 he is constantlly bragging wanting to race saying he could beat my car that he would blow me away wants to race for money this has been going on for about 4 years hes 21 and thinks hes all that my car has been almost restored other than what i said it has also it has air shocks big wide tires in back its lifted in back new tranny all thats left is painting the body which will be done this summer marine blue i now you all have been wanting me to post pics. i promiss when she is all painted i will be more than happy to show you all my baby i also want to thank you all for the help you have given me when i was trying to fix her and restore her you guys definitly now your mopars hopefully you can help me with this situation.

- - - Updated - - -

oh one more question what is the horse power of my dodge coronet

Kari, the engine is extremely low on HP (120hp I think) and there isnt much you can do about it all nice the compression ratio is about 7.8-1 (actual) the heads are prohibitive in making power with its small valves and crummy ports.

Don't bother racing the 318. Just say yep, your faster, I have a cruiser.
The HP to weight is in his favor as well as everything else his care came equipped with.

Auto Transport Service
Back