• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981-93 Dodge Ram 4x4 Help

I did not post it, 14k with a few extra parts.

You might want to go back down to 33's with 4.10's. 35 is a lot of tire to push around for a small block. it would deffinately tow better with 33's. But tires is minor, really, it is a wear item anyway.
I wouldn't tow with a Ramcharger, not anything bigger than a fishing boat or utility trailer. I mean you can but it is not ideal, they are built tough enough for it just the shorter wheelbase makes them a little bit more squirrely than a pick up.

Got it yesterday.
Drove it in the morning, 1st granny gear no issues, 2nd gear seemed a little noisy, 3rd was very noisy, 4th was so quiet couldn't tell it was in gear.
I made an offer and that was my max. Took him a while, but he accepted telling me I was the right person for it.
Probably helped that I drove the Fury wagon there, hour and a half one way, love cruising that wagon.

318 was rebuilt, bored, cam, intake/carb/headers/etc. It sounds extremely healthy.

I did 65mph at 3k rpm the entire way home and it drove very nice, considering the gearing, tires, etc.
My friend who took me there and followed me home said I was doing 80mph+.
Guess the speedo is off a bit.

Basically everything has been done, and of course it has a few issues.
Trans (unless those trans are supposed to be noisy), no pads on the clutch/brake pedals, driver door needs adjustment, bed needs to be leveled out on the 3" lift, need to find a few pieces of trim, need a longer drop hitch, an aftermarket trailer brake plug kit, blah blah blah.

But it's rot free with very little surface rust anywhere, which is unheard of 'round these parts.
I figure, if the biggest expense is the price of a trans rebuild (which currently works and it drives) then I'm perfectly ok with that.
I've done rust and rot repair before, and the price of a trans is a fraction of that.

Maybe I'll get around to returning it to one color too.

20240123_104138.jpg

Anyone got a rebuilt auto or manual that will fit this?

Anyone got a rebuilt auto or manual that will fit this?
I wonder if you could get a 5 speed from one of the 90's trucks to fit in? I am not well versed on transmission swaps for manuals, but I bet it wouldn't take that much effort, unless the transfer case is completely a no go(like wrong side/driver passenger or something) it's a 318 so the front side should be easily figured anyway.
4x4 always ups the ante :)

I wonder if you could get a 5 speed from one of the 90's trucks to fit in?
Apparently you can, but not a direct swap, more complicated, and those trans are not cheap.
I'm still learning, but it seems very little is straight forward with these trucks.

Just to eliminate it, did you check the lube level?
I definitely should, haven't yet.
Plan on checking all fluid levels asap.

Guy I bought it from said all the fluids were up to snuff, without me asking. I believe him to be an honest Joe.

I don't know how these trans work, but 1/2 throw is farther than 3/4, which doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know about these (nothing, I know nothing).

NP435 definitely has a longer 1-2 throw then 3-4. Just had the trans out and apart from my '79... it's very simple compared to anything modern.

Auto Transport Service
Back