• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1987 shelby charger project

Even a 520 trans is good if you put the OBX limited slip unit in it, the stock 2-pinion open diff is what grenades from excessive wheelspin. 555, 523 and 568 all have 4-pinion diffs that are better and more durable in stock form. The OBX diff (or the real Quaiffe, if you have the bucks to spring for it) is a great upgrade though.

I had a Shelby Charger GLHS w/ the 2.2 intercooled, rebuilt the engine, put a stock 3.50FD 520 in it (had to make custom shift linkage mounts, now kits are available I believe), fmic, bigger TB, 3" exhaust and a MP Stage II computer w/ overboost disabled and ran 16psi of boost on it. Mountain runs were fun :steering:

I always thought they should have put the getrag unit from a rabbit/golf GTI behind the 2.2 turbo motors.

It should have been an relatively easy operation as the vw/audi block casting was used in the early omni/horizons

The weak point on these cars (aside form the electrical and computer systems) is quite obviously the trans/diff, and that getrag unit is stellar by comparison.

you gotta put the quaiffe in it, although mine was just a neon 2.0 but it was a 12.60 quarter mile rocket. but had to have slicks. the shelby would be a whole bunch more fun.
DSCN0615.JPG
DSCN0606.JPG

For a while I owned the red Shelby CS Daytona in the back of this cover shot.
It was apparently wrecked a short while after the photo was taken.

I found it in the back of the local Chrysler dealership with a bent up hood and left fender and a mangled nose cone.

Paid $900 on my credit card, and drove it home.
Bought an 84 Laser XT (with talking digital dash) parts car and put the front end back together.

Drove it to OH the next summer and slung the half shaft across an intersection doing a burnout.
Could not find ANY place that had a shaft, not even a JY or the dealership.
Traded it for a 73 Duster in Plum Crazy with a 360.

On the mag cover, that's my friend's green Rallye Challenger with the hood up.
I donated the windshield and dash pad to the green 66 Coronet in the foreground.
(440 with pro-street tubbed rear)
The guy squatting by the Challenger convertible is local radio host Mason Dixon (His car IIRC)
MM may 92 b.jpg

Shoulda just put an unequal length shaft in it and been done with the stupid jackshaft. I do it in all my turbo cars, torque steer is no worse for it. I've seen seen broken half-shafts destroy turbos, engine blocks, trannies etc. Why they put a u-joint in it is beyond me...

Many years ago I had a 1980 Dodge Omni 024. It looked alot like those pics . They must have changed the name later on in production.

Sorry guys I forgot about this post ,I'll put it to rest the Shelby was sold I had a guy beg me for it his stock car got smashed and he needed a good body sir all his racing stuff would be trashed . Do I did the good guy thing he needed it and I needed it like a hole in the head. So it's gone but I looked into a newer mopar 4 cly turbo fwd car and bought a 2004 neon srt4 it's so much freaking fun and with only 31000 miles on it it enjoy it forever it basically Sat in a garage with a older couple that took it out on weekends it's in brand new condition I only payed $9800 for it (plus taxs and shipping ect.) But it was well worth it and I'm having so much fun with it .sorry don't have s picture on my phone I'll take some tomorrow

Sorry guys I forgot about this post ,I'll put it to rest the Shelby was sold I had a guy beg me for it his stock car got smashed and he needed a good body sir all his racing stuff would be trashed . Do I did the good guy thing he needed it and I needed it like a hole in the head. So it's gone but I looked into a newer mopar 4 cly turbo fwd car and bought a 2004 neon srt4 it's so much freaking fun and with only 31000 miles on it it enjoy it forever it basically Sat in a garage with a older couple that took it out on weekends it's in brand new condition I only payed $9800 for it (plus taxs and shipping ect.) But it was well worth it and I'm having so much fun with it .sorry don't have s picture on my phone I'll take some tomorrow

Selling the Shelby was a smart move, but "only" $9,800.00 for a 12 year old Neon is a good deal? Here's one for a little over 4 grand that I found in 10 seconds...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Neon-...717b532b:g:jFYAAOSw65FXp~Iq&item=122162991915

On an unrelated note ,speeling an.d punkshewashun a.nd sentanse strucshur du matterr.

That srt is a p.o.s. I wouldn't go anywhere near it! My car was garage kept and adult owned not one mod on this baby and only 31K the car books at $10 it was a good deal I'll pay more for a nicer car I didn't want one a kid had his hands on they don't last makes you wonder why the motor needed rebuild at 41K miles ! I'm glad you agree that miss spelling is OK I'm not very smart when it comes to writing its all kinda blurry to me I manage!

Auto Transport Service
Back