• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995 5.0 Mustang thoughts as a first car on a budget

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:51 AM
Reaction score
Hello Mopar friends:
I have always had an agreement with my daughter that I will pay 50% of any car she selects (with my approval). The budget is 6 grand (she has more money saved, but only wants to spend 3 grand herself). She is not really car orientated, but seems to not be too excited about 15 year old Hondas and Toyotas with 200K miles for 6 grand.
So she has gravitated towards Mustangs in her search. I have test driven many 3.8 V6 base Mustangs the past three weeks (2003 to 2005 mostly with 130K miles). These cars seem to be 'rental car trimmed', but over all not bad. What I dislike here is every one of these I drive have some issue that sort of stumps me, or questionable title, etc.
I test drove today a 2 owner 1995 Mustang 5.0 GT coupe, 133K miles, typical parking lot rash on each bumper corner, but otherwise very nice. Title shows the seller has owned it for 12 years and I can see evidence of maintaining it well. Drove nice, but brake booster may be on it's way out as the power assist seemed weak. No leaks, fluids looked good, and recent repairs are all new AC hoses.
The drivers power seat motor runs, but no movement. I found a gear kit on eBay that might solve the problem. Everything else seemed to work including AC, windows, lights, etc.
Anyhow asking price is $3900 and that leaves room for some future repairs.
So what are your thoughts as a first car? Should I recommend a Honda/Toyota with 200K miles, a Chevy Cruze with 100K miles, a 2011 Crown Vic Police with 130K miles, or this Mustang? Thanks for any and all opinions!

with gas heading to 4 bucks...... a v8 isn't very budget friendly

The 5.0 will run forever. I would be a little worried about putting my daughter in one though. The rear gets pretty happy in the rain and if she was to drive it spirited. Other than that they are a solid runner. Good luck! Mike

Having bought an '89 5.0 new and owning it for a very long time (longer than anything else I've owned,
short of my current '04 Ram) I got this:
5.0 Mustangs are fully capable of killing a younger, less experienced driver.
If it's an automatic, that will help this some - but not all.
It's not that it's all-world fast - it's that it's a short wheelbase, nose-heavy V8 vehicle.
They drive differently, simply put...especially in stressful situations.
Pretty tough critters, though.

I think that was the last year for the 5.0 Windsor design, there's a whole internet out there for those cars and engines. Decent handling, not too heavy and the overdrive helps with gas mileage. Of the cars you mentioned, I'd take the Mustang.

First I would ask how old is your daughter, then I would talk to my insurance company. I'm willing to bet that its considered as a muscle/hi-po/ classic car since its over 20 years old & a V8 in which case they may not cover her. A V6 shouldn't be an issue.
My daughters car is in my name and she is listed as a licensed driver in the home and my insurance more than doubled. We live in a low risk score area to boot.

Few more details. All cars considered are auto. My daughter is 21 and impeccable driving record on my policy. When she gets her own car she will get her own insurance.
Understood about a young driver in a Mustang, but a 1995 Mustang 5.0 has less horsepower than a 2007 Accord V6. I do appreciate all of the opinions and keep them coming.

Few more details. All cars considered are auto. My daughter is 21 and impeccable driving record on my policy. When she gets her own car she will get her own insurance.
Understood about a young driver in a Mustang, but a 1995 Mustang 5.0 has less horsepower than a 2007 Accord V6. I do appreciate all of the opinions and keep them coming.
I was under the impression she was a teenager. With her being 21 and a good driving record I don't see an issue other than it possibly being considered a classic. I think to get classic full coverage, most require the drivers to be 23..
As far as the car goes it sounds like a pretty good deal and they are pretty good/reliable cars. I stil.prefer the Fox bodies from the 5.0 era but prices have skyrocketed. Another good thing is that there is still a good aftermarket industry supporting them.

If fox body prices are any indication this version of mustang may be at the very bottom of the depreciation curve and has nowhere to go but up.
Regardless life is too short to drive appliance like cars. My daughter may not be that interested in cars, but she does seem to appreciate a Mustang over all of the appliances we have test driven.

Keep in mind if its their first car it will be a sacrificial lamb. All my kids eventually had their firsts replaced due to no fault of them. I still own my first new car purchase 87 GT stang with T tops. Kids hated to be dropped off or picked up from school in it Now they claim it. I’ve only let my son drive it once and he’s 36. I think about selling it until I occasionally jump in and romp on it.

If fox body prices are any indication this version of mustang may be at the very bottom of the depreciation curve and has nowhere to go but up.
Regardless life is too short to drive appliance like cars. My daughter may not be that interested in cars, but she does seem to appreciate a Mustang over all of the appliances we have test driven.
I imagine you are correct, just look at the smog ladden 77-82 C3 Vette market. You are now seeing those plastic pieces of junk above $15k now due to the popularity of the of the early C3s. Square body C10s are doing the same.

The 5.0 will run forever. I would be a little worried about putting my daughter in one though. The rear gets pretty happy in the rain and if she was to drive it spirited. Other than that they are a solid runner. Good luck! Mike
I agree. Great car but for a young driver they’re sketchy on wet roads. My oldest had a 2001 and did a couple of 360’s one rainy night. Luckily no one was in the oncoming lane. Ended up bending an axle and a rim. I say get her something with all wheel drive to start out.

Have you considered a truck or suv. Just a thought want to keep her safe and insurance down. Sounds like solid driver but nowadays with all the phones in the cars no one is safe.

I am around most brands and years of cars , SUVs, trucks , week in and week out.
( Body Shop )
For a young drivers saftey and for your piece of mind also taking into account repair and maintenance.
At the price range your shopping at I would suggest a 07 to 12 chevy impala.
Full size safety , run forever , 30mpg.

My daughters car I helped purchase. She drove
it for two years before it was stolen. She was
timid behind the wheel, I don't think she knew
what passing gear was. It was a good, dependable
vehicle.
image005-2.jpg

(shown) Not hers, but exactly the same.

Out of those choices I would go with the Mustang. Might want to check but, I think some of the parts are year specific for that car having the 5.0L V8 but, not sure. The good thing about the Mustang is there is plenty of aftermarket parts for them or should be. For $3900 in this market you can't expect much.

As for the fuel economy it will be interesting to see what it gets. A '91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC averages around 17-18 mpg combined and that's with a 5.0 HO/AOD/Ford 8.8 with 3.27 gears bone stock. The Lincoln weighs around 3800-3900 without driver I believe. The other thing you'll want to check is if the rear main seal leaks. Common issue on the 5.0L (302) engines.

The other thing you'll want to check is if the rear main seal leaks. Common issue on the 5.0L (302) engines.

I've seen plenty of leaks diagnosed as rear main seals on 5.0's but I've only seen a couple that actually leaked... Rear intake fillers fail, valve covers leak... The rear main seal is a full circle one piece seal, they rarely leak...

95 GT is a pretty sold car, as others have mentioned they can be tail happy... Take some of that extra cash & sign your daughter up for a performance driving school... When the car goes down the road she keeps the skills & knowledge from the training... Then again when she blows your doors off it could be embarrassing...

I drive one of these now, but I would be very
hesitant about letting my daughter behind
the wheel. Icy road, leave it in the garage,
wet road is white knuckle time.
The black one died an early death in a Houston
hurricane, the white one I still have.
It's interesting that the difference in HP
and TQ between 1985 and 2014 is nearly
exactly doubled.
image005.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

Last edited:
If she likes it. Why not?
Weakest point on these is probably the cheap interior ^^

Edit:

But consider this:

My first car was a 1972 cutlass supreme that i still have today. If possible i will never sell this one.
My moms first car was a at time of purchase 1 year old Rabbit MkI that she had for a very long time until my dad got involved in an accident where the car was totalled. She liked the car until the end.

So what i want to say is you might should not cheap out on the first car. If its a really nice one it might be the last car she ever buys? If it was a 60s or 70s mustang for example?
Obviously at this point it could be a mopar aswell. :D

Ford-Mustang-(MY-71)-2.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back