• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995 5.0 Mustang thoughts as a first car on a budget

Sorry I respectfully disagree with streetmachine. I’ve had fox body mustangs for close to 35 years. I still have one and a new edge. Maybe the Lincoln has more weight behind the wheels. I can’t say as I have never had one. I can say for certain the mustangs are light in the rear and can definitely be a handful for a low horsepower v8. The sn95 has very similar traits but has a better survival rate is the best I can explain it. ( they don’t split in half as easily). I would look for a two valve 4.6 to be safe. Way less torque and will go 300k plus. The new edge is a decent car but like any other has a few quirks. If had several so if you need more info please feel free to ask.

Fair enough. I was basing my experience not only on the Lincoln but, a 98 Mustang with a V6 as well. It could be the suspension setup on the Mark vs the Mustang plus the weight. The rear arms are longer on the Mark plus the rear has air springs (rubber bladders) in addition that is a longer wheelbase than a Mustang. It could also be the computer tune in the Mark as well tuned more for luxury compared to performance.

The New Edge would be a good car with the 4.6 2v. People always complained about the power but, I didn't mind the convertible I test drove. With factory exhaust they sound good even. Finding one in good shape is a chore though because a lot of those have been ragged out as well. I would of suggested a 90s Thunderbird or Cougar but, the problem with those is the suspensions wear out in the MN-12 platform cars too quickly usually as the rear setup is independent as well a few other quirks.

Anyways, I would go with the Mustang and if need be a decent set of tires. Teach her to get a feel and respect the car.

I'm going to be truthful here. That style of Mustang is ugly. Not quite as bad as the Mustang II but nobody I know likes that turtle look. I don't think they will ever appreciate in price. The 93 to 97 Camaros and Trans Ams with the LT1 are already going up in price. Those cars last to 200K easy. If you want a cheap gas miser with a little style get the Pontiac Vibe. I got mine with a 5 speed and a rebuilt title for $1600. 145K miles. The previous owner had the front fender damaged and had it repainted therefore the salvage title. They are the same car as the Toyota Matrix but you don't end up paying Toyota prices. Great gas mileage. I drive mine faster than I should because it's fun. The hatch will swallow a surprising amount of stuff. (Read two 160 pound Newfoundland dogs.) The reason I can afford classic cars is that my daily is very economical. My son has the same car but with an automatic. The auto is helpful in Denver traffic. The OD rolls over at 300K miles and they just keep on going. This is a Vibe and an LT1 Camaro. You can probably afford to get both and just sit on the Camaro as the prices go up. I see the Camaros at the big auctions now. I never see those mid-nineties Mustangs.

Vibe1.jpeg
z281.jpg

Sorry, late to this discussion.

When my son turned 16 I gave him my 73 Road Runner with a souped up 340. My wife was worried about him driving an old car, light in back, etc. I promised her I would do my very best to teach him to drive it properly. This turned out great.

Now I needed to do the same when my daughter turned 16. I had purchased a 2007 California Special that I added some stripes to make it look like a Shelby Hertz. See pictures below. This car is a 5 speed with a 315 HP 4.6 liter engine, more aggressive differential (don't remember now what the ratio is) and limited slip. It will burn rubber all through first gear and continue into second if you really punch it with the traction control off.

The point is I also spent considerable time teaching her to drive it. Not just put-putting around town, but sliding it, fishtailing it, etc. I felt she HAD to learn how the rear end let loose and what to do about it when it did.
Anyway, 9 years later she is still driving it. She hates even driving an automatic.

I'd say buy the 95 Mustang. Spend time really teaching (not preaching) your daughter with the way it handles. Fishtail (and lose control) in a safe parking lot in the rain. Really get her used to the way it handles. This will improve her as a driver and make her safe in the Mustang.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

GTCS_Front.jpg

GTCS_top.jpg

Budnicks 94 Trans Am #1.JPG
Consider the 93-01 Firebird v6
or old-style 5.7ltr LT1 & later the LS
I prefer the Formula or the TransAm GT
or lesser version just reg. TransAm (non GT) was 275hp LT1
Budnicks 94 Trans Am #2.JPG

less insurance rating, the Camaro's red-headed stepbrother :poke:
(I had a few Firehawks' 335hp SLP package too, a different subject altogether)
I still got 20+ mpg with the LT1/GT 315+hp rating
(but it's more money & more insurance, I doubt it's more than a Mustang 5.0)
good-decent milage, relatively cheap, parts readily available
you can find lower milage examples too, they built a shitload of them
pretty much at the bottom depreciation now & starting to clime in value
& has decent style, comfortable cars, easy to drive/handle
(way more room/comfort than the Mustang front & back or luggage area)
& she wouldn't be shunned by her girlfriends
or the HS dudes either

I've had a bunch of them
they perform well, drive well, never had any big issues
aside from not having independent rear suspension
it's a lesser C5 Corvette in a different package

it's probably going to be more than the 95 Mustang
in the same condition/milage etc., but IMO worth a lil' extra

& it's not a FORD

Last edited:
I'm tight, wife calls me cheap. I like the idea of buying a good used vehicle that has reached its full depreciation and has the opportunity to appreciate in reasonable time.

$6,000 budget for a Ford?

How about a '95 or '96 Thunderbird? They are kind of sporty looking. My Dad had one with a V-8. Regular oil/filter changes, tires, plugs, and nothing else. Zero problems.

I recently read somewhere (this forum?) that the Mustang is the number one death car.

Too bad you're not closer, I could put her in this nice little RAV4 for 6k.

IMG_20211216_151152257.jpg

I originally looked at ONLY low mileage Grand Marquis as I believe that is the best car ever made in terms of comfort, reliability, and even safety. Unfortunately several of her friends started with the "blue hair old people's car" jokes and that took the Grand Marquis off the list.
Uh oh...the peer pressure thing. Her "friends" might start pointing her towards German makes; particularly BMW. Here's are my quick opinions, but realize all replacement parts are more expensive than U.S. makes; labor rates are higher too. You would need to do the repair work for her.

Audi: In general, no. The A4 in the 1990s are ok.

BMW: The E30 & E36 3-series are the best choices with either the 4 cylinder or six cylinder. The E46 3-series are a good choice. In general, stay away from the 5 series, but there are some good ones from the 1990s and early 2000's. Do NOT get a 5 series with the V-8. Only get one with the inline six. BTW, BMW has never made a V-6.
Any BMW model starting with a 6, 7, or 8: Just walk away. Same story with the X-series sport utility X3, X5, etc.: Just walk away.

Mercedes: Just walk away.

Volkswagen: Passat is similar to the Audi A4 mentioned above. Jetta is ok, but small. Wolfsburg editions are nice.
______
I don't normally buy parts directly from BMW; and rarely does anyone except me work on my cars.

$6,000 budget for a Ford?

How about a '95 or '96 Thunderbird? They are kind of sporty looking. My Dad had one with a V-8. Regular oil/filter changes, tires, plugs, and nothing else. Zero problems.

The ones a bit earlier have nicer looking interiors.

Her "friends" might start pointing her towards German makes

I'm a german living in germany and there's a reason why i rather buy american cars. (But i'm also only buying classic cars)
Only exception is the Mercedes 560 SEC that i bought years ago when i didn't knew a lot about cars. That one is actually pretty reliable but the parts and labor are still expensive.

Another interesting exception would be the Opel Omega 3000 24V featuring an inline 6 with 204hp, 5 speed manual or automatic, rwd & limited slip differential with options like A/C & cruise control available. Opel was owned by General Motors at that time, so its basically a GM Product. :)
opel-omega-3000-24v.jpg

But these are even rare in germany.
They advertised it as "Handes like on rails" and i think it has indepentent rear suspension as well.

All in all i'd stick to american cars from the 60s and 70s because i like the simplicity, comfort and look combined with a decent engine size and rwd. :)

So what are your thoughts as a first car? Should I recommend a Honda/Toyota with 200K miles, a Chevy Cruze with 100K miles, a 2011 Crown Vic Police with 130K miles, or this Mustang? Thanks for any and all opinions!
Honda/Toyota w/200k miles: NO

Chevy Cruze: NO

Crown Vic Police w/130k miles: Try to find one with fewer miles and check the idle hours. A young female isn't going to like this car.

The Mustang GT you found: Check the compression and leak down, but go ahead and snap it up for cheap; and rolling the dice is probably a safe bet. I like that the current owner has had it for a long time and kept up the maintenance. Sounds like a good deal to me. Hey, your daughter likes it!

Girls are merciless to each other. The first car I bought my daughter was a 2 door Grand Prix 2 door GT. Leather buckets, HUD It was cool. All her friends liked it.I think she was 16 YO. Some other parents of a girl on her cheerleading team had bought their daughter a brand new basic Toyota. The other girls were mean and called it a ghetto mobile because it had crank up windows and was a basic car. The Pontiac had some trans issues and she crunched one fender so we got rid of it.
gp.jpeg

The second car was a used yellow Xterra. Very cute. She loved that car but after about 6 years the engine took a dump. Not worth fixing. Remember even a color preference can make or break a car in the eyes of girls.

xt.jpg

You all know about her 1981 BumbleBee Camaro and she loves that car but it's not a daily driver kind of car. Her grandmother sold her a newish Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo with low, low miles for very cheap. She's a fanatic about maintenance but the oil line on the turbo started leaking badly. It was a known problem so Hyundai fixed it for free.

The Camaro cost $900 and I put another $300 into it. It's probably worth $7,000 now.

sf1.jpg

more 3.jpg

I'm okay with a 2005 Mustang but the 1994 to 2004 Mustangs are hideous.

Remember this is Colorado and having at least one 4X4 is almost mandatory.

Last edited:
What about an older Jeep Grand Cherokee? That in-line 4L 6 is a great motor and they are great in the snow.

Auto Transport Service
Back