• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st 5 runs results of 505"

Mike Gaines

Local time
6:09 PM
Reaction score
Scan0005.jpgBest Wheels Up.jpgHere are results of my 1st 5 Runs.

60" 660" 1/4ET 1/4MPH
Run #1 1.587 7.063 11.105 120.62
Run #2 1.574 7.042 11.077 120.85
Run #3 1.569 7.053 11.098 120.39
Run #4 1.557 7.005 11.045 120.62
Run #5 1.562 6.965 10.989 120.40 (got my 10's time slip)

Each run had a little tuning change made from prior run

Best ET (last run specs)
100 Octane Gas, 34 degrees timing, 83-90 Demon Jetting, Plugs gapped at 36,
Left at 3000 (off foot brake) shifted at 6100 on both 1-2 and 2-3. Trapped lites
at 6200. 16lbs air in my M/T Bias Ply DOT ET Streets 28x13.50x15 with 11" tread width
Cal Trac MonoLeaf - Bars set just touching roll pin on Passenger Side and 2 flats of preload on Driver Side with me in Car. 9 Way Cal Trac Shocks set on 7. (out of 9)

I think (hope) there is another 1.5 tenth (to go 10.80's) in the thing with more Test & Tune Track Time.
Thanks for your support, Mike

PS: It is my 505" new build
Indy SEZ (non-max wedge port) heads
12.2-1 Compression Ratio
Comp Solid Flat Tappet at 6.60 lift after accounting for my 1.6 Rocker (.024 lash)
Indy Dual Plane (non-max wedge ports)
Mighty Demon 850
MSD Dist, wires, etc
Mallory return style Regulator at 9lbs
Hooker 1 7/8 Super Comp Headers with no mufflers or exhaust pipes
5000 Flash Ultimate Converter
4.30 (spool) in my Dana

We video shot the launch I had zero wheel spin at 16lbs with the Bias Ply 28" ET Streets with 11" tread width.
I have included my Engine Dyno Sheet for recommendations from you guys....

3440lbs with 3 gal gas and me NOT in the car (200lbs for me) 3640 loaded

Last edited:
I've learned that my manual valve body shifts 2nd gear about 600-700 rpm after the shift is made, 3rd gear about 300-400 rpm. Keep that in mind with shift points. It may want a lower shift rpm, especially with that intake.
Doug

Nice job on getting in the 10's Mike. Keep tweeking!

Mike:

Are you dead hooking or do you have wheelspin ? If you have any spin, drop your air pressure to 14.5 psi.. That's what I run.

Also my 505" has always loved lots of pump shot , as in 2 X 50cc pumps and 45 squirters, with both the old 950 and Eddy heads and the new max wedge setup with 1050 dominator.

Our builds are so similiar, that what works on mine should work on yours...give it a try...

John B.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike:

My 505" has always loved lots of pump shot , as in 2 X 50cc pumps and 45 squirters, with both the old 950 and Eddy heads and the new max wedge setup with 1050 dominator.
More pump shot might help that 60 ft

Our builds are so similiar, that what works on mine should work on yours...give it a try...

DVW is correct about the shifts...I have an air shifter in mine and have to set it lower than the shift RPM that I want...I can look and tell you by how much if you like.

With the air fuel/rpm data logger in the car, I know exactly what RPM it shifts at.....

John B.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the double post....LOL

Good job Mike. I think there is more room to go faster once you play with it some more. One thing I learned from MSD was to open the plug gap to .45. It will give you more spark and for me it works well. you need to have a friend video your launch to see if you get any wheel spin. I had that issue and didn't realize it till I watched it. Your car is a bit heavier than mine 3320 with me in it. I run my goodyear tires at 9lbs. I am not really familiar with with that carb but I would now look at the air fuel mix also. I ru a holly 1050 with plugged power valves and 90 4 square jets. and it still a bit rich but again weather always plays a roll in how it runs. You gotta love the 10's Congrats on the new build. In Washington this week but will be at the track next week to try a few new ideas. I hope next season we can get together.

Good start. Should be more in it, that's for sure.

nice results Mike . MPH is good for Et , sixties seem a little soft . Are you leaving off a 2 step , with pedal on floor ?
You may want to try a collector muffler or similar . I know when I ran open side pipes the car seemed to drop bottom end torque . I now always run full 3" exhaust and mufflers to the diff , class now requires mufflers and it is a daily driver

Tex

nice results Mike . MPH is good for Et , sixties seem a little soft . Are you leaving off a 2 step , with pedal on floor ?
You may want to try a collector muffler or similar . I know when I ran open side pipes the car seemed to drop bottom end torque . I now always run full 3" exhaust and mufflers to the diff , class now requires mufflers and it is a daily driver

Tex

Tex, I do have a "2-step" all wired up and working but I just havent used it yet. I have left by just bringing the RPM up against the converter (3000) and holding the brakes until I release the footbrake and then launch.
It is part of my plan (on the next outing at test and tune) to then use the 2-step. Putting my foot on the brake to actuate the 2-step (set at 3000) then to floor the accelerator pedal and let it drop cylinders until I release the footbrake to launch. Hope that might give a little better 60'.
I am not going to run my full exhaust system (with mufflers) because I have a full 3" system all the way to the rear axle and giant MagnaFlow mufflers to make it quieter on the street and that whole system weighs about 80lbs and is very restrictive.
I havent really explored the jetting and timing fully yet with the car...that is yet to come.
When I get the car running as fast as it will go with 100 Octane then I am going to buy 5 gallons of VP C12 (112 race gas) and see what happens.
I then have a friend who is going to loan me a M1 Single Plane and 1050 Dominator after I get everything done with my current Indy Dual Plane and 850 Mighty Demon.
I know it will go faster with a single plane and bigger carb but I am going to get all I can out of this setup before I start changing things.

- - - Updated - - -

Good job Mike. I think there is more room to go faster once you play with it some more. One thing I learned from MSD was to open the plug gap to .45. It will give you more spark and for me it works well. you need to have a friend video your launch to see if you get any wheel spin. I had that issue and didn't realize it till I watched it. Your car is a bit heavier than mine 3320 with me in it. I run my goodyear tires at 9lbs. I am not really familiar with with that carb but I would now look at the air fuel mix also. I ru a holly 1050 with plugged power valves and 90 4 square jets. and it still a bit rich but again weather always plays a roll in how it runs. You gotta love the 10's Congrats on the new build. In Washington this week but will be at the track next week to try a few new ideas. I hope next season we can get together.

Canyon..thanks, I will call MSD again....they are the ones who recommended 36 with my setup but I do understand the benefits of a wider gap as the MSD box will definitely fire the wide gap for more burn....
And...M/T tech says to run my 28" DOT ET Streets Bias Ply Tires between 15 and 20 lbs, not less...because with my weight they said it would "cup them up" in the middle, actually crushing the tire. They said If I had a 30" tall tire or taller, than lower air pressure would be ok..and....ZERO tire spin after looking at the launch video in slow motion.

Very nice Mike. I was wondering if you had the eng on a dyno ? You might try to lower your shift point a tad and see if the stroker likes it since they dont always need to be shifted to high with the torque curve they have. I see you run 28" tires with 4.30's as I run 30" tires with 4.30's and I feel I may go faster with less gear but I have not tried it yet as I would like to try a taller tire and see if the car likes it. Our combo's are close but you run more comp then me and a little more cam and converter. I also run my total timing at 37 degrees as the car seems to like it best there. You are getting there for sure and I know you will be solidly in the 10's soon as you keep plugging away at it. Congrats on hitting the 10's already and good luck in getting even faster. Ron

Mike nice start. I feel you still have a good amount left in the combo. My 512 in the 67 wagon has been 6.994(10/25/15) and I am having some fuel delivery issues(being the dummy I am I flipped the filters and put a too restrictive on pre pump. Hope I didn't cook the pump). This was shifting at 5600 on 28x9 Hoosiers. I do run a much tighter convertor(3500-3800)w/4.10 gears and leave at 1800 rpm.

You have much better heads, more cam and compression. The intake and carb may be holding it back some but there is still plenty left. Your combo is well thought out.

One thing I found on my car was it liked the shocks set at 4 drivers, 5 pass and neutral on the bars, meaning they just touch, there is no pre-load. I also have the bar set parallel to the ground using the top mounting hole. I had four 1.551 60' in a row. This was a a track that has decent traction but nothing great.

Please keep us informed. I love your car and enjoy the info you share.

Mike ,
when I used to run a 2 step I was a little slower in the sixty . However I now have more power and will test Saturday with the 2 step again . I am also changing to a different radial slick , so crossing fingers . I get your exhaust . Good luck

Tex

Great start with your combination! At least you got your 10 second time slip the first time out. I had my sights set on the 10s and the first time out in the spring it went 11.000 and wouldn't go in the 10s till the fall when the air got better. That sucked but was still happy to make my goal! Good luck on your next time out!

I've learned that my manual valve body shifts 2nd gear about 600-700 rpm after the shift is made, 3rd gear about 300-400 rpm. Keep that in mind with shift points. It may want a lower shift rpm, especially with that intake.
Doug

That much shift lag is scary. My Cheetah & my Cope trans shift at the RPM I plan. You may want to change trans builders.

That much shift lag is scary. My Cheetah & my Cope trans shift at the RPM I plan. You may want to change trans builders.
The engine doesn't flare on shifts. I spoke with Paul Forte since it is a Chettah VB. He said it was normal. There is no damage to the high clutch or the 2nd gear band. Think about what happens on a 2-3 shift. The K/D band stops the high gear drum and over runs the low roller clutch. The car is either in 1st or 2nd, there is no in between. The car is plenty quick 9.02@151, 3350lbs. In fact the driveshaft speed spikes up on the shift, not the engine rpm. What does that tell you? I suggest if you data logged you would see it as well. And as for the trans builder, It's me.
Doug

Mike here it is pushing midnight. I just got back from a collective soul concert here in napa at the uptown. Wow I should have been a rock star. I really enjoyed these guys. Solid rock and roll.
i quit chasing the clock I just want to chase the perfect run.

Congrats Mike.

Test and tune it down a few more tenths!

Not too shabby Mike, Congrats
practice makes perfect or it makes for closer proper tune anyway...

Have fun that's what it's all about...

Awesome Job mike as i am watching what you do and your setup so when i do mine i can make adjustments that will help i hope keep us posted sir i am very happy for you...

Awesome Job mike as i am watching what you do and your setup so when i do mine i can make adjustments that will help i hope keep us posted sir i am very happy for you...

In my opinion now, after I have built my motor:
1) I would spend the $300 more to have my INDY heads with Max Wedge Port Size
2) I would spend the $100 more for an Indy or Edelbrock SINGLE PLANE intake with Max Wedge Ports rather than my INDY Hi Volume Dual Plane
3) I would spend the $120 more and buy a Dominator rather than my 850 Mighty Demon. (Dominator=$820 vs Mighty Demon at $660)
My motor makes a ton of torque at 3000 RPM with the smaller ports and dual Plane intake but I could give up some of that torque for more horsepower up the curve.
For 90 percent street driving and 10 percent drag racing I would be OK with my setup but I am tending to go more 90 drag race and 10 percent street.

You just picked the 3 things that my motor has that pushed the car into the 10's and down to 10.53....took me a lot longer to figure it out than it did you Mike...LOL

Splicer

Auto Transport Service
Back