• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 1967 Mexican Spec Coronets - Very Special Cars

This is how they look new.

images (1) (16).jpeg

It always confused me why the Mexican cars didn't use the typical Mopar finned alternator...

It always confused me why the Mexican cars didn't use the typical Mopar finned alternator...
Due tariffs , political restrictions and a very stupid idea of Nacional components a certain amounts of car components must be build in Mexico, the government call this integration percentage? so manufacturers like Chrysler and others must comply with this ( you can see in the add from 67 that on the bottom said automex this was a local manufacturer tha build vw beethes in the 50s)and used a lot of parts made here in mexico no am not complaing about this national made components but this is one of the reason why sometimes the same car build here and in the states have this sutil but noticeable differences, ask the guys in FABO about it the a bodies are a really mix and match of parts.

You mean the electroluminescent dash? Ma mopar sold in 68_70 the coronet here in Mexico and the rally dash was standard equipment ( my case has it)
Yes that is the dash I was talking about.
Due tariffs , political restrictions and a very stupid idea of Nacional components a certain amounts of car components must be build in Mexico, the government call this integration percentage? so manufacturers like Chrysler and others must comply with this ( you can see in the add from 67 that on the bottom said automex this was a local manufacturer tha build vw beethes in the 50s)and used a lot of parts made here in mexico no am not complaing about this national made components but this is one of the reason why sometimes the same car build here and in the states have this sutil but noticeable differences, ask the guys in FABO about it the a bodies are a really mix and match of parts.
My 1974 Chrysler Dart has the Dodge front end and the Plymouth rear end.

I don't know why they did that. It would have cost less to copy the US cars 100%.

My Mexican Spec 1963 Plymouth Savoy has removable brake drums front and rear. On the US cars you have to remove the nut in the front and deal with the tapered axle in the rear. Also the drums are stamped MEXICO. I have videos about this on my You Tube channel.

Yes that is the dash I was talking about.

My 1974 Chrysler Dart has the Dodge front end and the Plymouth rear end.

I don't know why they did that. It would have cost less to copy the US cars 100%.

My Mexican Spec 1963 Plymouth Savoy has removable brake drums front and rear. On the US cars you have to remove the nut in the front and deal with the tapered axle in the rear. Also the drums are stamped MEXICO. I have videos about this on my You Tube channel.
The government idea was to impulse the national car manufacturer company's and at least 51% of the cars build in Mexico has to be parts build in the country meaning outsource the components.

The government idea was to impulse the national car manufacturer company's and at least 51% of the cars build in Mexico has to be parts build in the country meaning outsource the components.
I understand but Automex had to pay for engineering for parts that were already in existence in the US. It just seems a waste of money.

I understand but Automex had to pay for engineering for parts that were already in existence in the US. It just seems a waste of money.
That was the beauty of our government at that time, instead of using the existing big blocks for performance ma mopar use the current v8 318 use a 340 cylinder head and a forged crankshaft to improve the 318 the result was 270 hp, for the diferential the Mexican coronet in 68 has the dana 60 you may wonder why a dana for a 318? how I know ? I have a dana 60? Crazy right? But the cost to import a big block plus tariffs and taxes was prohibited for the final customer

How many did they make? Do people do Charger Dash and taillight conversions? The 500 is a nice rear panel, so maybe not lights.
I often wondered if a 1967 dash would fit in 1967 coronet, or belvedere. I would think some wiring problems could occur, but would look cool.

That was the beauty of our government at that time, instead of using the existing big blocks for performance ma mopar use the current v8 318 use a 340 cylinder head and a forged crankshaft to improve the 318 the result was 270 hp, for the diferential the Mexican coronet in 68 has the dana 60 you may wonder why a dana for a 318? how I know ? I have a dana 60? Crazy right? But the cost to import a big block plus tariffs and taxes was prohibited for the final customer
The Dana rear axle thing stuck
Around for a long time. I had a 2000 Mexican market Ramcharger and it came with a Dana 44 instead of the 9 1/4”

I often wondered if a 1967 dash would fit in 1967 coronet, or belvedere. I would think some wiring problems could occur, but would look cool.
The dash frame is similar but different so the entire frame would have to be switched. But it could be done.

Is it common to paint cars such ugly colors in Mexico?
Christ.... the green is terrible and the other one isn't good either.
I like the styling of the cars though.

Is it common to paint cars such ugly colors in Mexico?
Christ.... the green is terrible and the other one isn't good either.
I like the styling of the cars though.
Yes it is common. Houses get painted such colors as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back