• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2.92 open to 4.10 or 4.56 sure grip

What is your overdrive ratio, if you happen to know it off hand?

I would choose a Detroit Locker, if both were going to be purchased new (other than the Borg Warner "Sure Grip" or Dana "Power Lok" differential.) To me, one will last nearly a lifetime of abuse (being strictly mechanical) and the other, well maybe a few years of spirited driving until your clutches give way and you're back to the performance of an open carrier. If you already had a low gearset, Powertrax "Lock-Right" or a Detroit "EZ-Locker" would be a great choice for an open carrier switch.

Whats that out of a dump truck? thats way low for an open rear.

I looked up the number on it. And from what i was told from the person I got it from, It was from an early a body car with a manual transmission. I think he told me it was in a duster. But the case is an early 741 from like early 60s.

I have 8 different carriers 66 and up and the caps are all the same. They are 741 742 and 489s.the ones you are talking about are pre 64 I believe.Maybe 487?
The bearing fit on the carrier itself is different...not the caps.

What is your overdrive ratio, if you happen to know it off hand?

I would choose a Detroit Locker, if both were going to be purchased new (other than the Borg Warner "Sure Grip" or Dana "Power Lok" differential.) To me, one will last nearly a lifetime of abuse (being strictly mechanical) and the other, well maybe a few years of spirited driving until your clutches give way and you're back to the performance of an open carrier. If you already had a low gearset, Powertrax "Lock-Right" or a Detroit "EZ-Locker" would be a great choice for an open carrier switch.

I totally agree. I put a Detroit Locker in my 66 Hemi car when I switched to 4.56 gears.

Auto Transport Service
Back