• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 wire tachometer/dwell gauge car stalls when connected

LongR

Local time
12:28 AM
Reaction score
I have owned & used this gauge for 30 years without a problem.
It's only 2 wires red to negative side of coil & black to ground
Now my 1966 satellite stalls when connected......any ideas ??

PXL_20240412_175307638.jpg

You might have dust on the armature where the needle moves. I have seen it on a multi meter where the needle would move erratically and give bad readings. The needle would stick and it did take out the internal fuse on the meter once. Take it apart and blow some compressed air on the internals. After so many years it accumulates. May or may not work for you.. It worked for me. Be careful when you take the display glass/plastic out, I am sure it is super fragile now after so many years; the clips may break. I would tell you to check the dial too but you do not have one.

Good luck

Not sure if it does, but if it has a battery inside, most likely cause is the battery has corroded up and the acid/alkaline has leeched out all over the circuitry inside and causing the short. The car coil is only exacerbating the problem when connected, hence the stall.

Auto Transport Service
Back