• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2000 dakota, dead carcass? In my a/c blower help!

Tony Tee

Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
A few months ago something crawled into my ac box and the squirrel cage blower killed it. It got very stinky in two days. Used several cans of febreze and over time, the stink subsided. But recently the dead critter dislodged and is now residing in the squirrel cage of the blower throwing it so out of balance that I can only run it one the first two lower speeds. Any higher of a speed the shaking sounds like it will self destruct. So does anyone have a hack or trick to fish this thing out of the blower? I was thinking, removing the glove box and using a hole saw to access the a/c box and use compressed air or a grabber tool to remove the offending stinker.
I'm thinking it's either a small lizard, mouse or snake. Any suggestions will be appreciated. As I don't want to remove the whole dash to get to it.
Sincerely Tony.
20231101_182151.jpg

no! mine is different. Mine is the difficult design. Sincerely Tony.

Then it's like this one. If you can get the cover off then you can clean the fins. Camera is a little shaky in the vid but you can see what it takes to do it.

Then it's like this one. If you can get the cover off then you can clean the fins. Camera is a little shaky in the vid but you can see what it takes to do it.

Thanks, but I have already done this before when I had to replace the blower. Not fun at all. I'll most likely hole saw it. And fish the dead thing out. And cap plug it shut. It's right behind the glove box, so it's easy to get to.

...the critter went in looking for the M&M's Tommy Boy spilled into the defroster vents.

I had a mouse build a nest in my 05 Sebring heater box. Same thing, it vibrated when on high. I was lucky enough to get a vacuum cleaner hose down a vent and got it out. Pesky Varmints!

You can't just swap out the blower motor?

Step 1- remove dash assembly, after having previously rigged up supports from the roof or door pillars......

Seriously, that's how the FSM procedure begins.

I've always cursed the fact that it would be 1000 times easier to simply have a rectangular panel on the exterior of the firewall...on almost any make, model and year of car or truck.

My heater core leaks- a common issue with Dakotas, but it's bypassed (FL).
If I was more Northern, I'd have already cut that rectangular opening, and fabricated a replacement cover and gasket.

Step 1- remove dash assembly, after having previously rigged up supports from the roof or door pillars......

Seriously, that's how the FSM procedure begins.

I've always cursed the fact that it would be 1000 times easier to simply have a rectangular panel on the exterior of the firewall...on almost any make, model and year of car or truck.

My heater core leaks- a common issue with Dakotas, but it's bypassed (FL).
If I was more Northern, I'd have already cut that rectangular opening, and fabricated a replacement cover and gasket.
I replaced my heater core when I had to replace the evaporator. Hindsight is 2020 I should have also replaced the blower at the same time. Because the blower crapped out afterwards . So this a/c box design sucks. I really don't feel like doing this again . So first chance I get ill be hole sawing a access port. I'll use a caplug or some aluminum foil duct tape to re-seal it.

I loved my Dakota's but they can be turds to work on.

Whoops.

I read "blower" but processed "heater core".

I actually think my Dakota is very similar to working on my vintage Mopars.

It's probably the last/newest vehicle I'll be able to do anything more than super simple repairs to.

I replaced my heater core when I had to replace the evaporator. Hindsight is 2020 I should have also replaced the blower at the same time. Because the blower crapped out afterwards . So this a/c box design sucks. I really don't feel like doing this again . So first chance I get ill be hole sawing a access port. I'll use a caplug or some aluminum foil duct tape to re-seal it.
Just be really careful not to hit the evaporator core with the drill bit on the hole saw.

I would suggest making a patch panel out of thin sheet metal or even flashing and seal it with silicone or weatherstrip adhesive or it will leak when you use the AC.

Update ! Had some other issues with my dakota. And when I picked it up from the repair shop the vibrating blower fan fixed itself. No more vibration! I couldn't believe it! I just hope it stays this way .

Auto Transport Service
Back