• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$200k+ for a 318 '70 Barracuda

Stereolab42

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
Well, it's not a 318 anymore, but the point stands...

BH23G0BXXXXXX

1970 Plymouth Cuda

You've got $200k+ to invest into a Mopar restoration. Do you:

A: Buy a project car with strong pedigree for at most $50k, like a V-code, a Charger R/T, an FM3, etc. with numbers/sheet/tag? Lots of possible E, B, and even A body choices here.
B: Buy a 318 base Barracuda for $20k and congratulate yourself for saving $30k.

Even WORSE, if I'm reading the tag correctly, this was born TRIPLE F'ING BLACK (TX9/TX9/H4X9) and they DID NOT GO WITH IT?!?

Last edited:
They are smoking a huge bag of rock cocaine if they think a Barracuda/Cuda clone is going to bring 199k! Put the pipe down and back away from the table!

For posterity; and maybe looks like a reproduction tag.

Screenshot_20240218-232811~2.png

Last edited:
Well, it's got a screwed down VIN plate and a GM overdrive slush box, so those two things alone probably add $100K to the value... :wtf:

If this pile is worth $88,900 that clone is a bargain at $199K…
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Hardtop | eBay
Yeah... Survivors are fun, but not at $89k for a 318, and I doubt even the most drunken factory worker ever put out a paint job as horrific as this one. Looks like Beavis&Butthead went to town with a rattle can.

I could see maybe 50-65K to the right buyer. However, not from me..... not 200K!!!

No thanks on the ball slappin e body's.

But for the unedjumacated normies out there, a purple 70 cuda is the ****.

I never could understand why those copy cat Camaros bring the kind of money they do anyways.

Resto-mods/Pro-touring builds even clones
bring some serious cash, at an auction setting
some more that 100% OE builds now too
people like the more modern builds
people with cash & willing to spend 'for professional quality builds'

MoPar seemingly are cheaper though than the
100s of Mustangs, Vetts, Camaros, Trans Ams & Chevelles,
(& I like specific years of Camaros Trans Ams & Vetts & 67 Chevelles,
even some Fastback only 67-70 Mudstains/Shelby's
)
even some later 70's & 80's pick-ups
starting at like $50k to well over $100k for run of the mill builds/restos,
some better builds bring $300k-$500k + too :realcrazy:

not worth that to me
but;
that auction setting they sell for big $$$ dollars
and NOT everyone is a total purist, or they all have to be numbers matching
or all org. OE color for that matter, the car don't know the difference

Last edited:
Meh.
Everyone can point and heckle. Some rich guy won't even sweat it and park it next to 20 other cars in his collection.
I pointed and heckled most of my life. There are always rich guys, always has been, and if you think this is too much you aren't a rich guy even if you have always thought of yourself as one. Times have changed. There are a LOT of rich guys now days, or at least enough to keep this activity going. Maybe it's the same or less rich guys, but they have so much they can just drift the days away going shopping for stuff like this because, well, they can.

Over 150 Corvettes. At one auction. Tell me again how prestigeous and rare they are.
Like the Chevy Chevelle guys. They made well beyond 500,000 2 door chevelles in 2 years. But if you ask an owner, HIS is SPECIAL, and deffinately worth at least 70k. It has a 4 bolt main 350!

So yeah, it is too much. Like basically most of the cars out there. But you know, it is worth what someone will pay. And someone has enough money this can be bought on a whim, so it will sell. Doesn't need to make sense, probably won't make sense. But people at that level of finances are not part of the rest of us and our reality, so they don't worry about stuff like that.
That's just how it is. I mostly quit paying attention to this stuff. Why bother? It's not part of my world anymore.

Meh.
Everyone can point and heckle. Some rich guy won't even sweat it and park it next to 20 other cars in his collection.
I pointed and heckled most of my life. There are always rich guys, always has been, and if you think this is too much you aren't a rich guy even if you have always thought of yourself as one. Times have changed. There are a LOT of rich guys now days, or at least enough to keep this activity going. Maybe it's the same or less rich guys, but they have so much they can just drift the days away going shopping for stuff like this because, well, they can.
Got a taste of this last summer at Carlisle, when one of these fellows tried to buy my GTX. Owner of some really high end B bodies, and 34 E bodies. What these folks choose to do is a world away from the mainstream of our hobby. Safe bet I'll never get an offer like that on the car again. The good thing for me is it doesn't matter.

What these folks choose to do is a world away from the mainstream of our hobby. ............................................. The good thing for me is it doesn't matter.
This is a very good nutshell of the situation. Most who'd buy these cars wouldn't know where an oil drain plug is located.

a burple cuda is not worth 200k . and who in there right mind would paint a triple black mopar burple anyway ? to answer the question in postc1 - me thinking it all depends on your needs . if a 20 k car works for you great . you got 30k to spend on gas and insurance. like it was
mentioned elsewhere ( i read in a different post ) , to us hillbillies 200k is a ton of money. some of them other people think it’s nothing …, i prefer to buy wisely.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back