• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

23 Spline A833 Good Deal?

Kris70gtx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:25 PM
Reaction score
Hello all, I was looking to buy this a833 23 spline for my 70 GTX from a local guy and wanted to see if you think it’s a good deal. It’s a 23 spline, comes with the bell housing, crossmember, pedals, and various other brackets etc. He wants $1500 for it all, looks like the trans probably will need a rebuild judging by the pics. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

E19C7907-1DF3-430B-8513-945157C7685F.jpeg

D7EAAC5A-9D93-478C-A673-A3AD332220E7.jpeg

FF34CDF3-4708-4790-8255-E7EF824AD3D0.jpeg

7AF88B65-F951-45D1-847C-3081B84EE4FA.jpeg

Well it's not correct for your car and it's a 11 inch bellhousing witch is not correct but being it comes with the pedals bell and trans 1500 seems fair

I would take the side cover off and take a look insde.

wouldn't the retainer cracking be caused by a bent input shaft? I've never broken one and I broken a lot of things.

I don’t think it’s a good deal really. thats the most I’d ever pay for that’s tuff. Keep your eyese open and take your time collecting the parts and you can do a lot better.

Input shaft looks like it was sitting out in the dirt for a long time.
Trans will need gone through and maybe new parts

Input shaft looks like it was sitting out in the dirt for a long time.
Trans will need gone through and maybe new parts
I'd offer $750.00 MAXIMUM for everything.......yes, pull the side cover and look at the sliding sleeves on the main shaft and the synchro gears and the spring loaded pawls plus the shifting arms for wear. Yes...the front bearing retainer looks like its been welded. The front bearing retainer OD pilots in the bell housing ID and must fit concentrictly. The entire trans should be rebuilt b4 using....bearings, bushings, seals, synchronizer parts, shaft end play tolerances....just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

It looks like a 1970 transmission but need a picture of the other side to be sure. I did not see a picture of the flywheel. The more pictures the better.

Complete pedal assemblies are going for 275-300, that bell housing (if not cracked and threads are good) 450 or so, the rear crossmember 80-90. These are the prices you have to pay if you need them, and not a great deal. That shifter stick doesn't have much value, to me at least. That leaves a good 550 left for the trans. I say he is asking to much especially seeing the weld. What else was affected internally when the damage was done? I wouldn't give more than 250 for that trans.
Totally agree with RJRENTON, 750 is the very max I would pay for the bundle.

I agree with the others...that damaged and welded bearing retainer is a huge red flag...I would want to replace that and check/rebuild the rest of the transmission before ever putting that in a vehicle. So the transmission is a rebuildable core and not worth what he thinks it is....so $250-300 max on that.

Too much. Everyone thinks they have a gold mine because they have a couple of misc. Mopar parts. Your car would be a 18 spline. Not to mention it's a bunch of crap that has been sitting in the corner for years. Offer as mentioned half or 750.

It does come with an extra side cover, as seen in the milk crate.

I think I’m going to pass on this one, especially seeing the welded bearing retainer. I’ll probably just go with a brewers set up when the time comes just so I can get all the little parts and pieces all together. Thanks for the help everyone!!

If everything else checked out, I wouldn't let that one part get in the way. Those front retainers are commonly replaced, under $100 for a new one.

I think I’m going to pass on this one, especially seeing the welded bearing retainer. I’ll probably just go with a brewers set up when the time comes just so I can get all the little parts and pieces all together. Thanks for the help everyone!!
FYI......CONSIDER:
Passon Performance
309 Turkey Path, Sugarloaf, PA 18249

Product Categories

check out their offerings.......

BOB RENTON

Last edited:
You'd be starting down the wrong road with the clutch setup. If it was a steal sure but you've got a core 23 spline that will need rebuilt and the wrong bellhousing for a clutch setup that isn't as common these days as the correct clutch. I'd wait for a more correct setup to come along.

Auto Transport Service
Back