• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2843906 heads value?

Willy The Kid

Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score
I have a set a 2843906 heads that came off my 440. It ran great but I put together the 550hp Hughes build with aluminum heads. I don’t know what these heads are worth and the recently sold on eBay had a set for $400 and a set that just sold for $1400 and I can’t distinguish a difference in the two. Anyone know what’s a fair price for me to ask for them?

I guess If the heads are complete and fresh 400 is a good price, but 1400 is nuts. I sold a set this past January that had been rebuilt with new exhaust valves but no springs for 200. It will cost more to have a set built. Its only worth what your willing to pay. If your heads are used but good they are only worth what the next guy is willing to pay. shipping is also killer for Iron stuff

I had a hard time getting $25 for a set of 906's a few years ago.

I've got a couple pair I would give away if someone would come and get them.

2 of my OE's are running them stock, but they have other uses...
1966plysathp2cleanupday2 095.jpg

With supply chain availability issues ongoing, imo any ready to bolt on head, even OEM iron, has value right now. Last year I looked for months for anything because I couldn't get into a machine shop either.

It would depend on condition and amount of work done to them. Untouched, rusty, sitting in the back-40 for a few years? Can’t give those away. A virgin set that had hardened seats, new guides, decent port work, bigger valves, new springs, retainers, keepers, resurfaced, etc. ?? Whatever somebody is willing to pay. I’m sure there’s a few guys on here that would take a killer set of nicely done heads in a heartbeat.

If you have them to sell- $50

If you need them- $700

Simple Murphy.

Just shove them under the bench in a bag.
Let the kids figure it out someday.
Or once you get enough junk saved up get a swap meet space. But be prepared to bring more home than you took. :drinks:

As stated, they are worth much more to some people than others but I feel $400 is fair at this point in time if they are ready to bolt on. I am using a set of 1967 915’s on my 440 and have for years. I will only remove them when I can afford the Trick Flow 240 top end kit which might be never.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago, I bought 2 pair of 906 cores and a pair of 452 cores for $100. I still have them. They are worth whatever someone wants to pay for them.

I think I got $75 for a pair of 906 heads that had been rebuilt, but with very low miles, a couple of years ago at the swap meet. There was zero interest in them at the time.

I think I got $75 for a pair of 906 heads that had been rebuilt, but with very low miles, a couple of years ago at the swap meet. There was zero interest in them at the time.
. Is it because 452’s have hardened exhaust valve seats already or is everyone going aluminum? 915’s seem to bringing a good price but they are a one year only closed chamber head.

I would have outbid the guy to $100 any day of the week if I was there :lol:
Dwayne's testing has shown the nice mid lift numbers of a 906 vs the others for a stockish cam.

. Is it because 452’s have hardened exhaust valve seats already or is everyone going aluminum? 915’s seem to bringing a good price but they are a one year only closed chamber head.

The 452's had the different intake port. The 915's were available at least in '66 -67, maybe '65 and some early '68. There were 2 versions of 915, one with the small 1.60 exhaust valve and then the HP '67 with the 1.74 exhaust valve. 915's had the same intake & exhaust port as the 906, just the closed chamber. It was no problem to increase the exhaust valve size on the 915's. I did a few from the 1.60 to 1.81.

The market for the basic factory BBM iron heads is shrinking.

In my shop, if you brought a set of used factory iron heads in, that basically needed nothing, but wanted them fresh before you bolted them on your engine...... you’d have pretty close to $400 in them.

I can’t remember the last time I had a set come through the door that were in good enough shape to only need that much work.

I have a set here now....... came off a motor that was done only a few thousand miles ago.
They didn’t get hardened seats(and some are starting to recede), original guides which are kinda loose, and I can’t quite make out what’s going on with the valve job(the seating surface appears to be very narrow and not well defined), and they’ve never been milled.
But the bowls are blended.

They will be getting ex seats, all new guides, valve job redone, updated for Viton seals, and milled.
Yeh...... they’re gonna shoot right past that $400 mark.

Edit- I cross buffed a couple of seats to get a better look at what was going on with the valve job.
The seats are actually a normal width.
I flowed one to check the bowl work.
The intake valves are back cut...... and the flow is 240/[email protected]” lift.
These have more bowl work done to them than what I do for the basic job on a Stealth head......and the last set of those I did went 277/[email protected].

Last edited:
915s are worth a premium to people who want to restore a 67 R/T or GTX if they are factory HP stamped. Same goes for factory stamped HP2s other than that they are just an iron head. A lot of 383 2 bbl heads had the same closed chamber as the HP915 and can be opened to the largest valves and port configuration you need SELECTIVELY if any are old rusties you will have to see how much they have deteriorated.

Auto Transport Service
Back