• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3.55 or 3.73 Which Do You Like Better?

Oh yea, forgot to say that they both had 3.91's in their cars and are pleased with the 3.73's

I hear you......but,

I get the feeling that you will be much happier with the 3.55's. There really wont be much difference in performance and the 3.55's are better for cruising the highway. The 3.73's are great street/strip gears as they give you nice performance and decent cruising rpm's. But if you dont race it much and drive it way more go with the 3.55's. Ron

I hear what your saying but, I dont plan on driving it a ton just on sunny weekends no or very limited highways. I changed the cam on this car to get more low end which has helped with launch but still not where I want it to be with the 3.23 thats why Im looking to change. I have been told not that big of a difference from 3.23 to a 3.55 thats why I'm considering the 3.73

So here is the two questions.

1. who has went from a 3.23 to a 3.55 and how has it helped in you light to light fun??

2. has anyone gone from a 3.23 to a 3.73 and what was your experience?? how much better launch??

Thanks. :blob1:

I had a 70 Charger w/3.23 open rear, went to a 3.55 sure-grip, huge difference, instead of smoking just the passenger tire, I got to burn both evenly :headbang: The 3.55 is a great all around gear. No experience w/a 3.73

3.55 just 'cause that is what's in my 8.3/4.........
works well with 4 speed....:BangHead:

I have had everything except 3.73's and I would love to install a set someday. 4.57's were great for the 1/8 mile dragstrip, 4.10's for the 1/4 mile. 3.23's worked great for the Interstate highway. 3.55's are a good all around gear but as I said earlier, I would love to try a set of 3.73's.

It's all about individual preference and how hard you want to accelerate. 355's are perfect for me personally. They're steep enough to make me grin but still very pleasant on the highway. I had 373's in a Vette and they're even better for acceleration and weren't annoying at 70 mph. I tried 410's in a 383 4spd Charger and didn't like them at all so I am biased against 391's because they're so close to 410's. Since you are concerned with low end performance I'd recommend 373's if you can get them.

No offense, but a 3:73 ratio was not a stock Mopar gear. Please correct me if I am wrong, but they went right up to 3:91 's (they are great for a big block, but a little deep for a small block) but, what do I know, I run 4:30 gears in my '66 sat...as a driver (just avoid the interstate)...I ran 3:55 in my 68 coronet 383 4 spd car they worked really good! As in, at 70, you can downshift to 3rd and take the headlights right of your victim...

373 are aftermarket for an 8 3/4. I ran 410's with 29 inch tall tires and it worked well.

I had 3.55 in my stroker Demon and could run 70 MPH on the interstate with no problem and with room to spare. My Coronet R/T had 4.10s and at 60 MPH I am in the 4000 RPM and will be switching to a 3.55 this winter. They 4.10 are great for off the line acceleration, but top out at 50 MPH unlesss you like a screaming engine on the highways. I would stick to 3.55 if you are on the highway alot. Driving 50 MPH in the right lane while someone blows by you in their Prius due to your low gears is not fun at all.

I had 3.55 in my stroker Demon and could run 70 MPH on the interstate with no problem and with room to spare. My Coronet R/T had 4.10s and at 60 MPH I am in the 4000 RPM and will be switching to a 3.55 this winter. They 4.10 are great for off the line acceleration, but top out at 50 MPH unlesss you like a screaming engine on the highways. I would stick to 3.55 if you are on the highway alot. Driving 50 MPH in the right lane while someone blows by you in their Prius due to your low gears is not fun at all.

What he said!

I went with 3.73's and an overdrive cuz I want to have my cake and eat it too!

Im switching from 4.10s to 3.55s. Havent tried them out yet but the 4.10s were a little to much for highway use. Especially with Flowmasters & 3 inch exhaust. Im tired of getting tickets for loud exhaust. So Im hoping the lower RPMs will make it quiet enough for me to get by.

What is you complete exhaust system you are runnin? Please PM Me
Thanks

Over the years I've ran gears from a 323 to a 456. When I was younger I thought the 391 gears was the best all around gear. As I get older I don't like the increase in vibrations and increase in noise the lower gears brings. But like you I wanted the stronger bottom end torque. I found that if I advanced the cam a few degrees I could run the 323 gears and have all the bottom end power I needed. It's really amazing how much bottom torque you can pick up from advancing the cam a few degrees. Just something to think about.

3:54. Dana. Tremec TKO. Gnarly low end and 2150 RPM @ 70 mph. Best of both and do not really need first gear.

3.73 is not a stock gear is it , aftermarket , sounds to much like CHEBBY to me.

3.73 is not a stock gear is it , aftermarket , sounds to much like CHEBBY to me.
This kind of thinking is why most Mopars get embarrassed at the dragstrip....and why most aftermarket manufactures won't make any parts for them....

I hear what your saying but, I dont plan on driving it a ton just on sunny weekends no or very limited highways. I changed the cam on this car to get more low end which has helped with launch but still not where I want it to be with the 3.23 thats why Im looking to change. I have been told not that big of a difference from 3.23 to a 3.55 thats why I'm considering the 3.73

So here is the two questions.

1. who has went from a 3.23 to a 3.55 and how has it helped in you light to light fun??

2. has anyone gone from a 3.23 to a 3.73 and what was your experience?? how much better launch??

Thanks. :blob1:

If thats all you're doing and not looking to be embarrassed by a 4cyl light to light then do the 4.10
I have 4.30, 4.56 and 4.88 in 3 different cars, the 4.30 has a 29" tire, the 4.56 has a 29" and the 4.88 has a 28"

This kind of thinking is why most Mopars get embarrassed at the dragstrip....and why most aftermarket manufactures won't make any parts for them....

Oh that thinking and being stuck in prehistoric times are the other.

Auto Transport Service
Back