• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 pin reverse / neutral safety switch into a 1965 727 push button transmission

peakandscoot

Local time
8:13 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if i can put a 3 pin reverse / neutral safety switch into my 1965 727 push button transmission?

It will go in but not work correctly. You would have to pull the valve body and install a newer style rooster comb for it to work correctly. That and rewire the switch for the backup lights.

I rewired my entire 62 Fury with a quick wire set up. Im trying to wire it to my 65 727

There are to types of single pin switches. The style with the white plastic plunger 65 and up. And steel plunger 60-64. The white plastic switch is longer at the rooster comb end. I believe it's the same length as the 3 pin switch. The rooster comb can hang up on the theaded portion of the longer switch's in the 60-64 aplications. I ground down the rooster comb on my 64 so it could use the later switch. No issues. You might also get away with a double switch gasket. It's easy to see with the pan off what is required. On a 65 it should work as is. Just be sure to check. The 3 pin switch N location is the middle pin. The outer pins are for reverse lights and not required in a 65. The reverse light switch is in the shifter if equipped as they were an option.
Doug

There are to types of single pin switchs. White plastic plunger 65 and up. And steel plunger 60-64. The white plastic switch is longer. I believe the same length as the 3 pin switch. The rooster comb can hang up on the theaded portion of the longer switch's. I ground doen the rooster comb on my 64 so I could use the later switch. No issues. You might also get away with a double switch gasket. It's easy to see with the pan of what is required. On a 65 it should work as is. Just be sure to check. The 3 pin switch N location is the middle pin. The outer pins are for reverse lights and not required in a 65. The reverse light switch is in the shifter if equipped as they were an option.
Doug
68 and older is the single wire and 69 and newer is the three wire.

Picture.

6965331-NSSwitches(1).jpg

It may take a little grinding to taper the plastic plunger to look like a single pin (chamfer the edge). But if the length is the same it shouldn't be an issue.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back