• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318/904 to 360/727 swap

mopardrummer

Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
I'm swapping the 318/904 from my 72 Charger to a 360/727 combo. I need to know how much needs to be cut off of the drive shaft. There is a 3.5" difference between the 727 & 904, the 904 being shorter. Is this the amount that I need to have the drive shaft cut? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Before you just shorten the driveshaft...

my 2c and other may disagree but I would change out the engine and trans as your planning to do, then and only then measure with the 727 slip yoke in position and the weight of the car on the rear for the correct new length.

This way you know the new length will be right.

Remember the slip yoke is different for a 904 than a 727

Awesome I appreciat the help. I got the engine in yesterday. Still need to put on all of the accessories and bolt up the tranny. I kept the slip yolk on the driveshaft so I'll put that on the drive shaft that came off of the car. I need to find u-joints to work since this drive shaft originally had the 904 slip yolk on it.

Hey guys, Im doing the same swap, except that i am going from a POLY 318/727 to a "LA360/727". Do I have to shorten my driveshaft aswell?

Thanks for your knowledge!

Does your old trans use a flange with a ball & trunion? If so, you will have to make a new driveshaft regardless. If it is for a '65-'66 model and uses a modern slip yoke, you shouldn't have to change it at all.

Auto Transport Service
Back