• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 conneting rod

I looked at a '69 manual regarding rod and piston assembly, the oil holes do not appear to be mentioned, but the rod big end rod chamfer orientation is covered and that assures the oil holes are also in the right place.

The oil holes are probably not totally essential, as I have some aftermarket race rods without holes, and some bearings don't have the notch either, however the rod bore chamfer must be outward on each journal or there may be rub issues.

I have sand blasted cranks before and some come from the manufacture shot peened, which is about as bad as sand as there is always some fine peen dust for a contaminant. Just wash and blow the hell out it before assembly. I have hot tanked and then washed components up to three times before assembly, I like Tide detergent, though you may not be able to get that in Italy.

Hi folks, I'm looking for the connecting rod assembly order of a 318 small block where can I find it? videos or suggestions are welcome
Thank you

View attachment 1587994
In simple terms the rod caps need to be kept with the same rod they came off of and in the same position. If they are not numbered and you didn't mark them or keep them in order, you may be in trouble. Oh and, crankshafts are ground and polished not sand blasted.

I think he knows he needs to have the journals ground. Probably has some rust on the counterweights like I had on some old Hemi cranks that were sitting for years.

I think he knows he needs to have the journals ground. Probably has some rust on the counterweights like I had on some old Hemi cranks that were sitting for years.
Yes, he might need the journals ground or polished. It looks like the crank is in an engine that ran not too long ago. Rust on the counterweights is not the issue there.
I have sand blasted cranks before and some come from the manufacture shot peened, which is about as bad as sand as there is always some fine peen dust for a contaminant. Just wash and blow the hell out it before assembly. I have hot tanked and then washed components up to three times before assembly, I like Tide detergent, though you may not be able to get that in Italy.
Sandblasting doesn't true the journals. WOW! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

To @MADCIMA. I will try to say this nicely. If you have to ask the questions you are asking, the repairs you want to do, this repair may be over your head. Too technical for your ability. You need help from someone with experience.

To @MADCIMA. I will try to say this nicely. If you have to ask the questions you are asking, the repairs you want to do are over your head. To technical for your ability. You need help from someone with experience.
I've been working as a mechanical workshop for 30 years, when I took the connecting rods down, about 7 years ago, I checked if they were marked (they weren't) so I thought there wasn't a sequence, once the bearings were changed everything was ok.
I only just discovered these oil passages, I hadn't seen them at the time, the manual doesn't mention them
I was just asking for this information, nothing more.
thanks for the replies

Again, rods are installed with the bearing tangs out, towards the pan rails. Rods are 2,4,6,8 on the pass side, and 1,3,5,7 on the driver side. The oil hole is moot (doesn't matter) because no one that I am aware of makes their rod bearings with the "V" notch on the oil hole side anymore!! If the rods are not numbered, just make a set of 4 rods with the bearing locks out to the pass side, and call them 2,4,6,8 and install the pistons with the dot/notch/"F" to the front. Then make the last 4 rods with their bearing lock out to the driver side, and in those pistons with the dot/notch/"F" to the front and you are good to go. This isn't rocket science, just pay attention to the bearing tangs. I will bet that if you clean the rods, the bearing tang side will have a number. Every Mopar rod that I can recall has had numbers from the factory, until the late 70's or early 80's when they started to use symbols. Same process, two sets of four, locks out to creats your 2,4,6,8 and 1,3,5,7 sets, then install your pistons.

IMG_2811.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg
IMG_2813.jpg
IMG_2814.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back