• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 cylinder salvageable?

Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
Hi there. This is my first venture into anything this involved but I am enjoying learning and looking forward to getting this satellite back on the road. The 318 was seized because the cylinder (pic) was rusted at the top. I had to wire brush drill that to get it free, and my question is… Is this too much damage to the cylinder, or can this be bored and saved?

0A80B040-6B9C-4283-92FD-46AECEB751F5.jpeg E43E4733-D023-4671-9204-7B962E0876F9.jpeg

The cylinder can always be sleeved if you need to as long as it meets the criteria for sleeving. I would spend the extra money and have the block magna fluxed and checked for cracks and make sure it’s a suitable foundation for your build. If it is,go for it , a 318 can be a nice little engine that’s affordable to play with.

I spent a lot of money and time rebuilding my poly 318 that was in good shape to start with; but if I had to do it again, I’d go to another motor maybe 340 or better 360 despite my real pref being a BB. Didn’t go there with the added re-do’s involved and all da money invested restoring my car as it was. Got talked out of a crate motor I kind a regret. Of course, if you’re looking to keep the wallet in check re-doing this motor may be better. As posted, a thorough check in its condition is wise as a stuck piston is a bit of a deal.

Only a competent machine shop can tell you if it can be reasonably fixed. The best reason to keep it original is that eveyrthing is already there and fits ( brackets, pulleys, accessories etc...

Welcome from Missouri!!

I spent a lot of money and time rebuilding my poly 318 that was in good shape to start with; but if I had to do it again, I’d go to another motor maybe 340 or better 360 despite my real pref being a BB. Didn’t go there with the added re-do’s involved and all da money invested restoring my car as it was. Got talked out of a crate motor I kind a regret. Of course, if you’re looking to keep the wallet in check re-doing this motor may be better. As posted, a thorough check in its condition is wise as a stuck piston is a bit of a deal.
Rb is always my pick.

Auto Transport Service
Back