• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 Poly Oil pan gasket install advice

Piranhaz

Local time
4:16 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am replacing the oil pan gasket on my 318 Poly engine and have a question. So the kit came with the rubber seals on the ends, but the rubber nipples are too big to fit into the slots and holes in the pan. I actually had one extra seal, so I tried to pull them through and they just ripped off the seal. Is there a trick to get these to fit on the ends of the pan before installing it up onto the motor?

bGUreoUdXB-K0JfgwDMf70W5pNPyxhQJh7RF60u5YVKjFe73rT2vJWCOzUm8aFVr-u2WNqMn=w706-h742-no?authuser=0.jpg

I use a pair of pliers, and pull carefully, while wiggling to get it thru the slot. And yes, sometimes they rip off. Once you get it installed, it will be okay.

I really like a product from NAPA called Silglide. As the name suggests, it is a silicone grease. Many uses.
Mike

Also, do you guys put any ultra gray between the rubber and the pan? I am going to hi tack the cork gaskets up to the block first. Then I will install the pan with the rubber gaskets installed on the pan. Was going to put ultra gray on the 4 corners, but wasn't sure if it was needed between the rubber and the pan, or the rubber and the timing cover/rear main cap. Any advice is appreciated.

Ultra Grey is my favorite on the rubber end gaskets. A smear on the pan side and a smear on the blpck side..

As for getting the darned things on, clean up the holes and silicone grease the nubs. Pull carefully with pliers near the fat part. If the holes are too tight and don't let the gasket float it will pucker.

I have always glued the cork to the pan.

Ultra Grey is my favorite on the rubber end gaskets. A smear on the pan side and a smear on the blpck side..

As for getting the darned things on, clean up the holes and silicone grease the nubs. Pull carefully with pliers near the fat part. If the holes are too tight and don't let the gasket float it will pucker.

I have always glued the cork to the pan.

Well, right or wrong, I took a razor blade and cut down the sides of those nipples so they slide through now. They will still hold the gasket in place but are also able to fit through the openings.

That works too. Pretty common issue with the rubber pieces. It would be acceptable to open up the holes one drill size for them to fit.
Well, right or wrong, I took a razor blade and cut down the sides of those nipples so they slide through now. They will still hold the gasket in place but are also able to fit through the openings.

Not sure if this applies to a poly...

but the gaskets (fel pro) for my LA were made slightly wrong. The holes for the first bolts were about 1/16 off, causing the gasket to bunch up in that critical area where the rubber seal meets the fiber gasket and the timing cover meets the pan rail.

Check that real close. 10 min with a razor blade and x-acto knife fixed it.

Last edited:
Not sure if the applies to a poly...

but the gaskets (fel pro) for my LA were made slightly wrong. The holes for the first bolts were about 1/16 off, causing the gasket to bunch up in that critical area where the rubber seal meets the fiber gasket and the timing cover meets the pan rail.

Check that real close. 10 min with a razor blade and x-acto knife fixed it.
That area seemed to line up OK, but it's really hard to tell until you start getting stuff up into place.

Auto Transport Service
Back