• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 truck problems

mopar367

Local time
7:12 PM
Reaction score
My friend just bought a 1987 ram 250 3/4 ton. It is a 318 2 barrel. It starts and drives ok, but wont kick down when you tramp on it. I am thinking the kick down rod may be mis-adjusted. The real problem is that it wouldn't accelerate. It just misses and hesitates real bad. I had to drive it home, and it would just sit at 60 km missing real bad. Eventually when i eased onto the gas more it smoothed out slightly and would maintain speed at 90km. It does smoke some out of the tailpipe, black smoke mostly. I am thinking it may be a clogged fuel filter, I already threw known working cap and wires on it. I am fixing the truck for my friend and would like some pointers as to probable causes. Should i put a 4 barrel on it?

I wouldn't put a 4 on it, as it sits. Black smoke is usually unburnt fuel, blue is oil, white is coolant. Check the basics-timing, vacuum leaks, linkage, plugs. See if it runs rough at rpm in neutral.

Auto Transport Service
Back