• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 with 273 heads dome pistons

charger318

Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
Alright got a question for you racers out there anyone try using a 318, with 273 closed heart shaped chambers with kb399 dome pistons? Leaving the piston .010 in hole and .027 head gasket gives .037 quench which is good just wondering if anyone try this? Thanks

Cheap insurance... if the pistons are domed {I'm not familiar with yours} I would highly suggest a dry fit & clay checking the interferences or clearances for the piston domes to chambers/heads & valves to domes clearances alike, dome pistons are usually ordered "specific to head type/chamber/size"... I've never used either part your describing, so I can't attest to fit... any photos ?? maybe that could/would help, good luck

I don't have the pistons yet that's what I am trying to decide on. Oh ya I would definitely check piston to head and valve to piston clearance I was wondering if someone fryer this or if I would be the first :)

try looking up http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=68 What is the purpose for the build ??, what are your expectations ??, is there some reason you chose 273 heads ??, I'm just curious why the 273 heads ?? most any other LA SB head will be better, even in stock form, unless the 273 heads are highly modified, most all 318 {esp. 302 fast burn & 345 Police castings} & most any 340 2.02 intake or 1.88 intake 360 LA heads {most have bigger combustion chambers thou} & any of the 5.2ltr./5.9ltr Magnum heads will outflow the best 273 heads, even with flat top piston you would make more power, but need specific parts to go the reg. Magnum route {the Magnum R/T's are great heads for the $$$, different oiling thru the pushrod & different style intake & Valve-train pieces}, RHS LAX {there website sucks, for Mopar stff, but have good heads} or even the Magnum heads etc. also check Summit Racing & especially Mancini Racing, RHS, INDY http://www.indyheads.com/lax.html or Edelbrock Alum. RPM's http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/cylheads/chrysler/sb_perf_rpm1.shtml are all far superior, depending on your budget, there're a ton of the 360 & 318 heads in wrecking yards... I'm just saying, There's much better ways to go, money much better spent, lots of choices... but good luck, what ever you decide... Do some research & due diligence, before you order pistons, spend the $$$ right the 1st time to fit your need... my $0.02 cents

what year 273 heads are they? 65 & earlier have different intake bolts at different angle...

what year 273 heads are they? 65 & earlier have different intake bolts at different angle...

I was referring to LA style heads, not poly's... great point I didn't think of that...

they are 67 closed chamber 902 casting came on the 273 and 318 that year. I got these heads for 75.00, so figured the closed chamber would help compression so why not right? 1.940 intake 11/32 valve stem 1.60 exhaust 11/32 stem, got 360 size ports going through the runners and bowls cleaned up. just seeing what happens after putting everything together. seen guys get 400hp out of 302 casting after porting with 360 intake and exhaust gaskets, air gap intake, 1 5/8 headers, 650 holley, and about 10:1 cr. just didn't know if anyone has tried this before as far as the intake manifold 67 is regular pattern, the 360 heads I thought about just never got none. seeing how quick the charger can get scooting with it. oh got the xs268s cam 230/236 Dur @.050 and .488/501 lift 110 LSA, 106 centerline. needs at least 9.0:1 so figure 10.5:1 is even better:]

Auto Transport Service
Back