• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

323 or 355

I had 3:23's and went to 3:55's, not my cup a tea. Depends what you're leaning to. The off-the-line difference was negligible and the cruising speed is irritating around 3k at 65-70 (I have TF trans). My car has a loud exhaust/headers as it is and with my rebuild error-ed on this too. As a geezer I'm not drag racing or interested in doing burn-outs anymore; but every so often like to get on it on a back road.

First car we built was a Duster small block Tremec 5 speed 3.55 gear and 28'' tire. Problem we had was too much cam and was lugging in 5th.Was better if over 68-70 mph.
Second car was a 451 Cuda with a Passion 4 speed OD 28'' tire and we went with 3.73 worked perfect.
Third car was a 65 Belvedere with a 451 and a Tremec 5 speed 27'' tire. Used the 3.73 again. Nice.
Lastly with a big block and no OD 28'' tire The 3.55 should be good. My 2 cents...

First car we built was a Duster small block Tremec 5 speed 3.55 gear and 28'' tire. Problem we had was too much cam and was lugging in 5th.Was better if over 68-70 mph.
Second car was a 451 Cuda with a Passion 4 speed OD 28'' tire and we went with 3.73 worked perfect.
Third car was a 65 Belvedere with a 451 and a Tremec 5 speed 27'' tire. Used the 3.73 again. Nice.
Lastly with a big block and no OD 28'' tire The 3.55 should be good. My 2 cents...
thanks

I had 3:23's and went to 3:55's, not my cup a tea. Depends what you're leaning to. The off-the-line difference was negligible and the cruising speed is irritating around 3k at 65-70 (I have TF trans). My car has a loud exhaust/headers as it is and with my rebuild error-ed on this too. As a geezer I'm not drag racing or interested in doing burn-outs anymore; but every so often like to get on it on a back road.
thanks

thanks

sorry the tires are 275-60-15 not 275-70-15 and O/D with 4 speed
Well, that makes a big difference. Your tires are then 28" tall with the 60 series.
I have 2 B-bodies, both with non od 4-speed trannys and both with the same tire as you are running. Both 400 stroker motors. I have 3.23's in one, and 3.55"s in the other. In my opinion, the 3.23 car is great all the way up to 75 mph cruising on the interstate. The 3.55 car I limit to 60 mph roads because I don't like how high the motor revs above that speed. Not familiar with an od trans however. I'm sure that will make a big difference.

Well, that makes a big difference. Your tires are then 28" tall with the 60 series.
I have 2 B-bodies, both with non od 4-speed trannys and both with the same tire as you are running. Both 400 stroker motors. I have 3.23's in one, and 3.55"s in the other. In my opinion, the 3.23 car is great all the way up to 75 mph cruising on the interstate. The 3.55 car I limit to 60 mph roads because I don't like how high the motor revs above that speed. Not familiar with an od trans however. I'm sure that will make a big difference.
thanks for the informative comparison

In all seriousness.... with an Automatic... I could run the Bird all day on it's 3.55's. Drove it from Atlanta GA to Alexander City Alabama and had a ball. With the Bee and it's OE x 4 gear, while it ain't no tire burner on 2.94's there is nothing wrong with 90MPH on the highway and barely pulling over 2K on the tach. Why the cops hated me when I was 18 and my foot was on the floor board...

I have 3.55's in my Charger with 235-75/15's. It's a little buzzy on long highway trips, but I thought the 3.23's were too low driving around town.

If I could get an inexpensive Dana 3:23 or lower, I might change mine, but if you are retired why need the rush. If I only put on a few miles per year, how long would it take to balance off fuel savings. I think I would be able to run at 4500 rpm easily when the motor is done. Boat motors are able to run 4300 or more all day long.

If I could get an inexpensive Dana 3:23 or lower, I might change mine, but if you are retired why need the rush. If I only put on a few miles per year, how long would it take to balance off fuel savings. I think I would be able to run at 4500 rpm easily when the motor is done. Boat motors are able to run 4300 or more all day long.
thanks

Nothing like 2.76's on the highway if you like but mph (which I did) but ran everything from 3.55's, 4.10's and even 4.56's in the city. 3.91's in a /6 3 speed stick 67 Dart was fun and 4.56's in a 340 Cuda was too. 4.10's in a /6 auto 66 Belvedere was pretty cool too if you don't care about rpm which I didn't at the time and ran that on the highway for short distances of 15 miles at a time. The longest highway run with 3.91's was Houston to San Antonio (200 miles) with a 383 auto and didn't really like that at all @ 70. 3.55's work ok with a 29" tire on the highway but work well in town and for pep with a 25" tire. It's all about what you can stand and the only way to find that out is to experiment.....

Nothing like 2.76's on the highway if you like but mph (which I did) but ran everything from 3.55's, 4.10's and even 4.56's in the city. 3.91's in a /6 3 speed stick 67 Dart was fun and 4.56's in a 340 Cuda was too. 4.10's in a /6 auto 66 Belvedere was pretty cool too if you don't care about rpm which I didn't at the time and ran that on the highway for short distances of 15 miles at a time. The longest highway run with 3.91's was Houston to San Antonio (200 miles) with a 383 auto and didn't really like that at all @ 70. 3.55's work ok with a 29" tire on the highway but work well in town and for pep with a 25" tire. It's all about what you can stand and the only way to find that out is to experiment.....
thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back