• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

340 Intake gaskets are not correct, little help please!

Builderguy

Builderguy
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
Little tired and a little frustrated. This was a running motor before tear down. Went to set the intake on tonight and it doesn't match up with the gasket or the openings/ports. It is probably something supper simple but I am putting too many hours in on this and not seeing everything clearly. So what am I missing? Is the gasket wrong? This engine was a very early 1973, as it was built in November of 72. Maybe heads left from a 1972 line, IDK, that need a different intake gasket to cover up everything. Little confused right now!!!!!

IMG_4081.jpg
IMG_4080.jpg
IMG_4079.jpg
IMG_4078.jpg

Little tired and a little frustrated. This was a running motor before tear down. Went to set the intake on tonight and it doesn't match up with the gasket or the openings/ports. It is probably something supper simple but I am putting too many hours in on this and not seeing everything clearly. So what am I missing? Is the gasket wrong? This engine was a very early 1973, as it was built in November of 72. Maybe heads left from a 1972 line, IDK, that need a different intake gasket to cover up everything. Little confused right now!!!!!

View attachment 1138407 View attachment 1138408 View attachment 1138409 View attachment 1138410
If I remember correctly the horseshoe can be left open. The center portion is for you heat riser in the intake.

Everything looks fine, continue forward with Progress. That is what fel-pro intake gaskets look like. The horseshoe is to be open, a heat relief around the heat crossover. Here is the one I just did. Do you have the red push in deals to center the gasket on the bolt holes?

BA2BC95B-AD37-4C63-986F-B18229BBE7CE.jpeg CE472D94-752E-4217-B9D1-7060DC3E5497.jpeg

As others have said, that is perfectly normal.

You may consider blocking off that exhaust crossover port with some brass shim before bolting up the intake as cooler intake = more power.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Did a little deeper digging and found, as others have said, that this gasket will work but will leave the crossover port open. Wanting to close this off I opted for Felpro gasket #1213 which covers this port. Just a little cleaner/cooler function.
Intake gasket.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back