• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

340 LA rocker arm wear and identification

65coronet70dart

Local time
4:11 AM
Reaction score
Have you guys ever seen this style rocker arm? If so where can i get them? the driver side are galling up pretty bad, i need to replace the pipe and all the rockers. when i do so i need to prime the oil pump make sure I'm getting good oil flow to that area so it doesn't happen again. i went to local engine builders, and they have never seen this style of rocker, they wanted to give me the stock ones...these ones seem to be cast iron and a lot more rigid.

Attachments

• P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,005
  • P1010025.jpg
    P1010025.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 410
  • P1010028.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 537
  • P1010029.jpg
    P1010029.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 384
Local engine builders and they never saw adjustable rockers?? :sad6:

Local engine builders and they never saw adjustable rockers?? :sad6:

Sad indeed....what would be the benefit of running these on a high power 340, it looks like I have hydraulic lifters, what's the point? Wouldn't need adjustable rockers...

yep definitely from a 273....

- - - Updated - - -

Sad indeed....what would be the benefit of running these on a high power 340, it looks like I have hydraulic lifters, what's the point? Wouldn't need adjustable rockers...

With hydraulic lifters these would not be needed. these were put in 273's for use with solid lifter cams.

the reason is so you can adjust The valves like on solid lifters and also you give them a 1/4 Turn ifters preload so the hydraulic lifters are not topped out and consistent the rockers are stronger than stamped steel and the pushrods should be hradened also... its trick and the best set up for a small block rebush and chim them a rod bearing the right size and reamed to new hardened shafts

- - - Updated - - -

Run a roller cam in a la these are the rockers... anyone who says there not needed or junk doesn't know the possibly these have besdt of both worlds someone else will chime in wait for it....

"Banned" Sleepar is correct. Unless you have a bone stock motor with stock valve springs then I'd run these 273 adjustable rockers. More spring pressure means more stress and that requires rockers and pushrods of stronger material to maintain valve train stability. But note this, the adjusters are interference fit threads and can become loose. If that is the case you can buy new adjusters with jam nuts from Crane and be up and running again.

Auto Transport Service
Back