• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

360 build where someone left off

Long4door

Local time
10:10 AM
Reaction score
My 318 is running pretty good but it's time
I have a chance to buy a 360 block , jheads , speedmaster pistons
So the block looks great freeze plugs installed cam bearings are in , it's a 3418496 cast
J heads look great , I do already have a pair on my 318 but these are all cleaned up
The crank has surface rust but has been balanced to the pistons already . Now the pistons is where I really need to know what's going on
Arias speedmaster pistons #s4370 +30
They got more cuts and sparkle then my wedding ring I believe they may be higher compression than I would want
The piston rod's are shot and pinged
I am a noob and will be taking some time on this build but please jump in and question my ignorance

If swapping A 360 in place of a 318, you will need the correct oil pan, left motor mount bracket, and torque convertor or flywheel. Those are different between the two engines. Did you know that?

The Devil being in details to expand on BBD's post.
The machine shop what did the work do Mopars?
They install and burnish the oil pump shaft bushing?
What about the cam bearings?
Oil holes lined up and bearing surfaces burnished?
Unles there's been serious improvement stay away from Mopar branded repro oil pans make sure any you buy are LA 360 pans as Magnum went to the same size rear main crank seal as 318s.

Arias P/N E4370 is supposedly a 9to1 comp flat top.
Wonder what e or s mean I believe these are 13.2 to1. Where did you find that I can't find much about it might call the company that bought arias

If swapping A 360 in place of a 318, you will need the correct oil pan, left motor mount bracket, and torque convertor or flywheel. Those are different between the two engines. Did you know that?
Thank you was wondering about the oil pan

Let me give more info my 69 4 door satellite is a 318 w 904 automatic
I have a air gap manifold ,j heads , long tube headers , 1406 edelbock all items I intended to swap over to a better built small block.
Rear end 294 if I remember right mixed with the 904 is probably the first issue to admit ,
But can I use the pistons at all if the compression is 13.2 to 1 can I dumb it down enough to have it be streetable thro cam choice , thicker head gasket anything like this

The pistons flat top or some kind of dome.
The 9 to 1 were flat with two large vale reliefs.

Where did the 13.2 come from?
You can use a B&M flex plate to eliminate the torque converter balance issue.

Ok so yes I now know there a domed piston after searching images , the ratio is stated by the seller , a fellow worker . I went and looked at all he had and am considering the purchase . But I'm asking I guess can I make this much compression streetable , and I would like to verify the piston but seems the item numbers are worthless. Thank you for the responses

Even if you knock the ratio down some, I don't think you'd be happy with it like a good set of flatops

Just read an article where some work to the combustion chamber on a x head increased the cc by 7 that is huge but before I dream of those gains I would need to check the j heads cc to see if they were still the full 68-72 cc or if they had been milled before ... how to I find the cc of a chamber? And I know dreaming of increased cc's is hilarious but ...

Auto Transport Service
Back