• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

360 in a 70' satellite

slagan56

Local time
8:36 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just picked up a 70' satellite for 2 grand and I'm gonna be building a cheap not so pretty paint probably won't match superbird clone, just because I think it's cool. I'm only 16, but my dad also thinks it's cool so he said if I get a car he'll pay for most of the kit. Anyways to the point now I've already got a 360 block, and the motor I wanna build is a nice 408 stroker out of it. Even if I didn't have the block I'd still want a 360 in it because you don't see them and it will be different. But because they didn't come stock in these cars I'm wondering if anyone has any experience putting these in, or has any info about motor mounts etc. Also if your one those guys who says "don't do it, that motor isn't stock!" Or "but that's not a correct clone" or any of that stuff don't bother. I'm just 16 and havin a good time with the car. Thanks!

Nice father and son project. We need more info to help though. What is the car set up as now; big block or small block. That will determine how much extra work/cost is involved.
If it's already a 318 small block car then you are off to a good start. The 360 will fit to the existing transmission and drivetrain. You'll just need a motor mount for the drivers side as the 360 and 318 blocks are slightly different.
If it's a big block car you have some work to do. Transmission won't fit and you'll need a small block trans for it.
In due course you will also need to select the correct torque convertor for your combination.
Enjoy!

The 318 motor mount bracket can still be used on the 360 if you use a spacer to make up the difference. I've seen some just use washers to do the same thing which will work too. Do you have the car yet? Also, a 340 block will give you a few more cubes than a 360 will because they have a larger bore to start with.....

I used a spare 360 truck mount for my 318 to 360 Dart many years ago.
Anyway, if it's a small,block car you have a much more straightforward job on your hands.
I presume you are going to have the trans checked? If so, fit a Transgo TF 2 shift kit. No more sloppy gear changes and gets the power thru the trans so much quicker.

It has a 318 in it already, thanks!
Then you should have a fairly straight forward swap. Just keep in mind that a 360 is external balance and the teen is internal balance so the harmonic balancers or the torque converters do not interchange.

I used a spare 360 truck mount for my 318 to 360 Dart many years ago.
Anyway, if it's a small,block car you have a much more straightforward job on your hands.
I presume you are going to have the trans checked? If so, fit a Transgo TF 2 shift kit. No more sloppy gear changes and gets the power thru the trans so much quicker.
A pickup truck mount bracket is totally different....so how did you do that?

I did this swap in a Dart (318 to 360) and ordered a 340 mount from Mancini. I then learned that I could have extended the 318 block mount with a short piece of metal and redrilled the mount hole in the correct position.

My 360 came out of a pick up truck and I used the supplied engine mount. It needed a very small spacer and bolted up nicely.
It was the earlier biscuit type mount.

Since the car is already a small block car, the engine will slip right in and the 318 engine mounts can be re-used easy with just a oversized nut that can slip over (or screw on) the bolt to take up the space. This is what I have done in the past. It is a whole lot cheaper and easier to do rather than a new mount. IF you want to do the mount, that is your call. But I mostly have lint, not dollars in my pocket, so cheap fixes are in with me until I find the money.

There are lots of stroker kits on the market. At 408 cubes, your producing a lot of torque. Besides some quality wide and sticky tires, the 440/HEMI leaf spring should be used and that is at the min. I have a set in my Cuda now. Also look into upgrading your brakes. Lots of go means you will also needs lots of whoa! (Stopping power.)

Back to the swap.....

The smaller 904 trans is OK. I like the bigger 727 even though it use's a little more power to turn and is heavier. Regulardless of the trans used, just make sure it is in good shape before installation.

New engine/trans mounts should be fairly easy to get. I myself would look into the interlocking mounts since the car has the sandwich type mounts. I have found them kind of easy to rip them in half. (Yea, I like creating power)

In the old days, we wrapped chains around the K-frame to tie the engine down. Schumacher creative services has these interlocking mounts and a spherical rod torque arm that bolts to the motor mount and the down to the K-frame.

While there are some cheap ways to get it done, I do like there products for finish and function. For me, there prices are do-able.

Oh, should you change from a stock 904 trans equipped car to a 727, or the other way around, your going to have a driveshaft length issue. Small potatoes but reLly annnoying potatoes!

Oh yea, I forgot, if ya ain't having fun with the car, then Your doing something wrong!
Have fun! I do! That is what there made for!

My 360 came out of a pick up truck and I used the supplied engine mount. It needed a very small spacer and bolted up nicely.
It was the earlier biscuit type mount.
It's the brackets that bolt to the engine that are different....but never tried to used the biscuit from a truck. However, I did notice that the truck biscuits were interlocking and did not have the plates molded into them to bolt them to the K frame like ones for a car does.

You will need a car 360 oil pan as well. if the motor comes from a truck, it will be different and the 318 one won't work.

you can pick up an oil pan for 50-75 dollars usually. I got lucky and scored one for $5 at a swap meet.. just to hang on the peg board to use one day...

One more thing.....

If you plan on using the 904 transmission, you'll need to either buy a flexplate from B&M (or others) for the externally balanced 360 or the weight and template kit (P4120241) to balance the converter.

Auto Transport Service
Back