• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LA intake on a 360 magnum

SpaceDoggo

Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score
I currently have a 318 LA in my plymouth and I need to swap the engine because it's shot. I decided on a 360 magnum since they aren't hard to find and arent too expensive. I want to reuse the intake and carb on the 318 because those are fine. What would I need to do intake for it to fit a 360 magnum? It's a after market intake for a 318/360 LA. Is it also possible to use the headers off the 318 LA. I'm trying to save as much money as possible as I don't have much.

The angle of the bolt pattern is different from LA to Magnum. Do not take that as gospel. There is a difference and I believe it’s the intake but could be wrong.

I currently have a 318 LA in my plymouth and I need to swap the engine because it's shot. I decided on a 360 magnum since they aren't hard to find and arent too expensive. I want to reuse the intake and carb on the 318 because those are fine. What would I need to do intake for it to fit a 360 magnum? It's a after market intake for a 318/360 LA. Is it also possible to use the headers off the 318 LA. I'm trying to save as much money as possible as I don't have much.
Headers are direct swap. Intake manifolds are different.

The angle of the bolt pattern is different from LA to Magnum. Do not take that as gospel. There is a difference and I believe it’s the intake but could be wrong.
They showed how to hack one onto a Magnum engine on a recent episode of roadkill. No zip ties were necessary!

A 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum bolts vertically down whereas the LA is angled.
Hughes sells a 4bbl intake for the magnum made by Edelbrock but theyre not particularly cheap.
There is another one by Speedmaster that Jegs sells which has both bolt patterns
Keep in mind that the Magnum engine has no cam lobe for a fuel pump.
You'll need to use an electric pump.
And you'll likely need all the accessories from the Magnum.
1708098095629.png

1708098107637.jpeg

A 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum bolts vertically down whereas the LA is angled.
Hughes sells a 4bbl intake for the magnum made by Edelbrock but theyre not particularly cheap.
There is another one by Speedmaster that Jegs sells which has both bolt patterns
Keep in mind that the Magnum engine has no cam lobe for a fuel pump.
You'll need to use an electric pump.
And you'll likely need all the accessories from the Magnum.
View attachment 1610186
I swapped it over to a electric pump when I got it luckily so I won't need to worry about that.

There's a member on FABO, that has a drilling template.

You can get in the queue and have it shipped to you.

If you aren;t going to use the Magnum EFI set up just buy the edelbrock or that thing on Jegs(I hate Jegs though, china now)
Then it is a direct bolt on, no effing around required. Heck you can probably find one on ebay or facebook used for under 2 bills.

Hughes makes a bunch of stuff for Magnum engines(one of few remaining) but they know they hold all the cards so they want to cash in unfortuneatly. I was looking to buy their intake for the EFI on my dakota but then I saw the price tag for what amounts to a dime a dozen edelbrock with the ports drilled in the already existing detail in the runners. No thanks, my kegger is fine.

keep in mind that your weight/balancing act is on the Ring wheel/flexplate on the magnum motor NOT the torque convertor.
so you just need to use the one that came With the 360,and slightly Oblong 1 hole for the offset on the Stock vertor already in your car.

trick,take flexplate off 360 note position Before removing << and then lay on top of vertor and mark the one offset hole you need,then grind.

ps,if you have never done this swap before,be prepared because the magnum with a 4bbl and intake and headers is going to be a Lot faster.
( more torque,more hp,better heads than la )

also,ive used those el cheapo 4v magnum chinesium intakes and they work just fine Except for one thing,if you have Ac the front water transfer nipple is totally wrong placement and will hit.

Sell the current intake you have now and roll the money over into a new intake. I suggest the Edelbrock RPM.

I’m have both the Edelbrock rpm and the Speedmaster chink knock off rpm intake. The chink intake is cheap and fine for stock to mild camshafts. I’ve used it with a mutha thumper cam. It was OK and fine.

I am using the Edelbrock RPM on a dead stock long block 5.9 right now and it is an excellent engine and feels better than the chink knock off intake that was on a hot rodded engine.
IMO, the Edelbrock is totally worth it.

If your running a mild cam (under 220@050) the chink intake is fine. After that, I’d be happy to pony up for a real RPM.

If you run the stock 5.9 with the Edelbrock RPM, I have found a Edelbrock 750 cfm carb works really good over the Edelbrock 600.

I also have Hooker 1-3/4 headers into a 2-1/2 exhaust. The distributor is a MP unit fired by a chrome box. It’s a 300 (or slightly better) HP engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back