• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

360 magnum build

cherokeechief79

Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
i have a later model truck 360 magnum engine.i see many buildups for these.
have any of you done a good writeup on this?
can i still get nice power from the stock heads?
i would like to get 400 to 450 hp

i have a later model truck 360 magnum engine.i see many buildups for these.
have any of you done a good writeup on this?
can i still get nice power from the stock heads?
i would like to get 400 to 450 hp

forabodiesonly.com has a magnum swap section. I've seen quite a few build threads on it.

I built one with about 385 HP with help from FABO threads. What kind of budget are you on and what is your application? Stock heads are can be built if in good shape....no cracks. I used the old EQ heads.

If you want 400 to 450 Id look at a 408 Stroker kit.
Agree. 400 is not a problem with stock bottom end (replace bearings) but if you want to bump compression and more HP it's more economical to get a stock bore balanced stroker kit if bores are good. Most Magnums still show cross hatching if bottom end is good. I was on a budget and had my cam reground and reused the lifters. If heads are OK home port, new valves/keepers/seals and hughes 1110 spring kit. Also use their fuel pump eccentric kit if going carb. Measure for new pushrods. Air gap or copy intake.

Agree. 400 is not a problem with stock bottom end (replace bearings) but if you want to bump compression and more HP it's more economical to get a stock bore balanced stroker kit if bores are good. Most Magnums still show cross hatching if bottom end is good. I was on a budget and had my cam reground and reused the lifters. If heads are OK home port, new valves/keepers/seals and hughes 1110 spring kit. Also use their fuel pump eccentric kit if going carb. Measure for new pushrods. Air gap or copy intake.
I had a Dakota R/T 360 Magnum. Did Harland Sharp 1.7 Rollers, M1 intake, Mopar Performance ECM, 52mm billet throttle body and all the little bolt on parts. Thought about doing a 408 but was too poor at the time like now.... But just those modifications made a great seat of the pants difference. I think a stock Dakota R/T was 245 horse power. Which is not that great for a performance packaged truck.

DSC00004.JPG

I had a Dakota R/T 360 Magnum. Did Harland Sharp 1.7 Rollers, M1 intake, Mopar Performance ECM, 52mm billet throttle body and all the little bolt on parts. Thought about doing a 408 but was too poor at the time like now.... But just those modifications made a great seat of the pants difference. I think a stock Dakota R/T was 245 horse power. Which is not that great for a performance packaged truck.

View attachment 1364660
Had a 99 Dakota sport 5.2 4x4 same color. Great truck.

Your cylinder heads are the limiting factor. Even ported, there not to great. The higher up the hp scale you want to go the larger the cam will have to be. More so since the heads are limited. Edelbrock heads really help in this department. Barring there use & using a stock port, 400 hp is obtainable.

AKA - The crate engine program, the 360/380 used a Hyd roller with an intake duration of 230@050. Not a fan of the single plane use though. They do dyno over 400hp though.
A RPM should be used here with 750 cfm carb and 1-3/4 headers into a good designed 2-1/2 exhaust.

Porting the heads should allow for a smaller camshaft to be effectively used.

What are wanting to put this into?

i would like to do this for around 3 k.
i have the timing cover from a 318 that should work.
i dont mind buying heads if i need them.i dont really wanna go as far as pulling the pistons out.
the engine ran good and ill inspect the bearings.its on a stand now.
im hoping to use the roller valvetrain system in it now minus the cam which ill buy new.
i have carbs but would buy a new better intake.
will new heads require different rockers?
i have 2 cars that it could go in.
it will probobly go in my 67 coronet wagon but ive also got a 68 barracuda that it may go in.
both have running 318s in them now.

I am not an engine builder but I have built a few including my fresh magnum with LA front. I did a lot of research along the way. 450 HP will be difficult without piston swap. If you keep the stock short block add your cam or regrind. Clean and inspect lifters. Reuse. You can use factory rockers on new heads. Go with the Mr Gasket .028 head gasket and/or mill heads or deck block for a compression bump. With the right cam you should be able to get 400. Consult cam company for a torque cam for that heavy wagon or RPM cam for the cuda if that is what you are after. Highly recommend converter to match build and the proper gears.

Here is a good build from FABO.
360 TrueStreet Magnum Build

thank you.........i cant get to that page for some reason.
did you keep the stock heads?
will i get a lot more from investing in aluminum heads?

I’m pretty sure it is Comp Cams that has there version of the 360/380 hp create engines cam. The MP create engine is stated to produce 380 hp but has routinely been dyno’d @ 400+ HP through stock heads. Other equipment it used would be a 750 carb, M1 single plane (earlier I said use the Edelbrock RPM since it gives nothing up to the single plane M1.) & 1-3/4 headers.

So! Since this create engine has been dyno’d several times north of 400, porting the heads would be the next logical step.
Once your heads are well ported, you can obtain the flow sheet and see how well the flow and where they stop flowing air well. You can now order a cam that has enough lift to take advantage of the heads port.

This should be worth an easy 35+ hp. The often famous dyno sheet of the create engine shows 410hp. Totaled up thus far is 445hp. Is that OK?

I would opt. to use it in the Barracuda myself. It should scale lighter than the B body.

You’ll get more out of aluminum heads and even more so if you have them ported, but the price tag along with it might suck. You can drop about 3K on this easy with upgraded rockers making the expense up to 4K no problem.

I’d go with (and did!) a set of Trickflow cylinder heads @ $1137 when they come back in stock. Otherwise it’s an Edelbrock head which is also out of stock at Summit. It’s slightly more expensive and not as good.
DODGE Trick Flow Specialties TFS-61417802-C00 Trick Flow® PowerPort® 190 Cylinder Heads for Small Block Mopar | Summit Racing
DODGE Edelbrock 61775 Edelbrock Performer RPM Chrysler Magnum Cylinder Heads | Summit Racing

Comp has several cams that fit into your performance parameters. All below are Hyd. roller cams.
XR280BR-10, much like the create engines cam but with more lift or rod a scant few more rpm’s the XR286HR-10 & the mid sized thumper cam 291THR7 with a little less lift. .522/.509.

As I said earlier, a 750 carb, RPM intake, and I’d use (and have twice) TTI headers.

Auto Transport Service
Back