• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

360 or 440?

Yeah, it was a gas. When I first put it together I used stock valve covers, and all the correct looms etc so it looked all factory original. really confused a lot of people. It had P/S. P/B, and A/C. Also had the two way tail gate with electric window. Had to run a 235 light truck tire on the back cause it was so heavy.

Do you know how much you car weighs?

I no longer own it, but pictured with the small block, 904 and 8 3/4 it weighed 3450 (less A/C & heater, wiper components and rear seat removed). It now resides in Detroit with a Hemi & a Dana (see Oct. 06 Mopar Muscle)
I am currently building a '66 Belvedere wagon. I'm hoping to sneak it under 3400 pounds.

You know, Dan Dvorak and Pete Tritak used to build and race Max Wedge wagons back in the 60's. Good stuff!

at first i was going to say the 440 but when you said that you already have everything to put the 360 in that changed my mind. If you build a really nice small block you could get enough power out of it that an average 440 would make and be much lighter in the front end. just my 2 cents

About 25 yrs ago I remember seeing a 73-ish Polara with a 440 six pack racing at Fremont Raceway. Watched it run a 13.9. The license plate said 1RADBOT.

A 440 would be a no brainer but schooling half the track with a 360 like the wagon guy above would be priceless!!

You will regret it someday if you go with the 360. My buddy went that way and a year later he went 440...

you know you want one. rb power

Picture 333.jpg

I sapped a tiered 273 in my '65 Belvedere with a 340 that I already had. I would go with a Bigblock had I do it again. The idea was ease and cost savings. I might sell the 340 and build a 440 now.

Depending on your budget and goals, your in the same boat I'm in...

440's are not all that cheap to buy and build anymore, compared to 360's...

You can score a decent low mileage 360 out of a Ram or Dakota for practically nothing, and you can get 400 hp out of it for about a Grand in parts that are easy to score...

if your set up for a small block already you'll save the costs reworking the cars drivetrain to install a 440.....

just my .02 cents...

My bet would be the 440 or something bigger. I do like built smallblocks, but with a 2 ton plus car displacement is going to be a winner. Like the man said " you can pay now or pay later" They are all expensive to build. Good Luck.

Well, I'll put my .02 in here. I'm just starting on a stroker 440 for my '69 Charger, so the jury is still out for me. However, I completed a 360/408 stroker for my 68 Notchback Cuda(yes it's an A-body) with RyanJ ported Eddy's and a hydraulic roller, and I handed just about every 440 powered B-body their proverbial @$$ at the Mopar Nationals in Ennis this year. I just laugh at all these big block guys that think they can run all over the little small block. The Mopar small block has made up a LOT of ground in respect to their stroker combo's. The Cuda is street driven and runs EASY 11's with a horrible(read me:black_eye:) driver on pump gas. So for all you Big Block guys(I have one under construction) beware of some of the small block combo's, you may get bit. :yes:

I'm surprised no one mentioned a "4 inch stroker for your 360. The added torque would help get that charger of the line. It would still be lighter weight with the small block, be 50 or so cubes bigger, and everything still bolts in with what you have. Start with a solid short block add on to it as funds allow(alluminum heads), and be lighter still!

It is not just power. The big block just looks right.
I do have a sb, but dream of my Hemi.

Hey Meep Meep, I think that 13.9 was more like 13.5s .... I have the time slips from those days of the KOME grudge night at the drags !. Way cool that someone remembers my car !. As far as the 360 VS 440 here is my view, way out dated from the time of this thread, but here it is . I would use a good 318 block, what ever casting number is prefered, install a 4.0 crank with some realy good working heads, 250 + cfm 220 232 at 50 and no more than 35 to 45 more degrees adv duration run it in the 110 range run the quench tight ..... real tight hi 20s. This will be the best bang VS fuel you will get. If its a WEDGE shove an old Top Fuel crank 4.5 into a 361 383 block with as much rod as will fit and use 300 + cfm on the heads and less than 40 quench !. Feel free to call 408 466 2476

I personally like the 440 building one now, but with todays tech, you can make a 440 small block now, but its lots of money having to go with a race block. I don't don't small blocks I just love the power and sound of a RB. My dad when he had his 440 6 pack cuda had to be careful of the challenger 340 6 packs cause one wrong miss shift and they would pull a big block

You could def get there with a stroker small block and they are getting cheaper nowadays.
But many people tend to look disapionted when you open the hood of that big Bbody to reveal a small block.
Even if you say it makes as much HP as a 440 nobody ever believes it until you smoke em!
In the end its all up to what your looking for (look fast or sleeper),(respect given or earned).
Handling is another thing to consider!

Auto Transport Service
Back