• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 block

Jim Milburn

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
Just doing a little inspection of the 383 block and noticed this while looking thru the freeze plug. Is this something to be concerned with? Looks to be a blockage between cylinder walls. Runs from the top to about halfway down. If it is, how do I fix it?

FF482EF6-2580-404E-9D22-84E72F3CDBDD.jpeg

Just doing a little inspection of the 383 block and noticed this while looking thru the freeze plug. Is this something to be concerned with? Looks to be a blockage between cylinder walls. Runs from the top to about halfway down. If it is, how do I fix it?

View attachment 1315042
Probably casting sand. It needs a thorough cleaning inside.

Hot tank?
You can do it in your driveway but it should get hot tanked anyway when it goes to the machine shop. I had a couple expansion plugs seeping and the block was full to there with core sand. They didn't shake them out good enough back then.

You can do it in your driveway but it should get hot tanked anyway when it goes to the machine shop. I had a couple expansion plugs seeping and the block was full to there with core sand. They didn't shake them out good enough back then.
I’m lucky, I guess. Block doesn’t need any machine work.

Mine had that too, I took a coat hanger to knock some out of each freeze plug. I went around each cylinder as best as I could. A lot came out, I know I didn’t get it all. Best I could do while the 383 was still in the car.

Damn I love working on these old cars.

Most every old block I pull the two bottom block cooling plugs out are completely plugged up with "gunk". Most are pretty hard and I bet it is mostly from left in sand from casting. Any v 8 I change coolant in I pull those plugs and flush out the block thoroughly . I find very little crud in most all the aluminum 4 banger blocks I mess with.

Auto Transport Service
Back