• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Commando vs. Super Commando

Satellite72

Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
So I've found an old 67 Fury that I'm interested in inquiring about that has been sitting at someones house since they passed away some 12 years or so. I noticed on the car was an emblem that said "Comnando V8". By doing my home work on what was available that year, I'm guessing that this likely is a 2bbl 383 perhaps? What I'm hoping someone might shed the light on is what really differentiates the Commando from the Super Commando?.... because I notice a that the horse power ratings are range from 270 - 325 horse power between the two.

I believe you are right as it relates to different engines and hp ratings. On my 63 I had an original 383 and it was called the "Golden Comando" as it has the emblems on the fenders. The ones with the 361 just say "Comando 361". As I said I believe you are right but I dont know which was which in 67. Ron

Don't let that badging fool you either way. I believe the 'commando' badge on the '67 year means that you've got a 383 in it. However that year they apparently came out with 2 versions of the commando- the 2bbl (270 HP) and the 4bbl (325 HP), both used the same 'commando' nomenclature on the fender badge. So you'll have to look however beyond that to see if it is a 2bbl or 4bbl, but my understanding is that they are bascially the same engines other than difference in compression and intake and along with the single exhaust. Look here to see what I mean:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...DataBook/1967/67_Plymouth_Engineering0009.jpg.

In '68 they started to define the engines by carbs and such..so the Commando meant 2bbl, the Super Commando meant the 4 bbl, Formula S for the A bodied verions and the RR version.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...DataBook/1968/68_Plymouth_Engineering0013.jpg

Hope that helps.

I'll throw this in the mix. My 66 Belvedere says Commando V8 and it's a 361 car originally.

Hmmmm.....This is all very interesting and very very helpful. Like someone said, I guess the only way to tell is to get under the hood.

Well Sattie, your question did open up a can!! I'm actually having a bit of fun with it though in trying to find out the real answer. Know my old man had a '68 Fury Sport Suburban that had the HP 383 in it and it said commando on the trim. So I'd still bet that that '67 fury you are looking at has a 383 in it! I'll know a bit more tonight- I've a '68 Fury that has a 318 in it! I'll see if it say commando on the trim although I don't remember it saying such. Maybe it does though.....Commando 318...oooh @_@. With 8.5 to one compression, a broom stick for a cam and a KILLER Carter BBD 2 bbl. Oh and lets not forget the single exhaust...

- - - Updated - - -

So here is what I can find for the '67 year. So I'd still bet that Fury you are looking at is a 383 as the 273 wasn't an option on the Fury's for '67 (the then new LA 318 was tho)
Engine choices 1967.JPG

I believe the comando is the 383 4bbl and the super comando is the 440 4bbl. I think both were the hp versions

Well I know I'm late in getting back but I finally took a look at my '68 Fury III. The fender (at the end of the moulding) says "Commando V8", however she is a 318, 2 bbl, single exhaust powered rig which is validated by the VIN. So honestly at this point...ya got me! :shruggy:

I know this post, relative to a 383 super Commando, is 5 years ago, but I wanted to contribute the little I know about where the 383 Super Commando identification came from. There are several sites where I have found information relative to what a 383 super commando might have gotten its name. The most straight forward is from Allpar:

"A special version of the 383 was created for the 1968 Plymouth Road Runner; it had heads, intake, camshaft, and exhaust manifolds from the 440 Super Commando. Those changes made it the fastest 383 ever, with 335 horsepower and 425 pound-feet of torque; the engine had a 9.5:1 compression ratio, single four-barrel carburetor, and a dual-snorkel air cleaner... and that was the baseengine."

Not necessarily an official name announced by Chrysler, but one that makes sense. I have one of these in a '73 Plymouth Duster, however, the heads were recently replace with Edelbrock Aluminum Performer RPM heads and a FAST efi. That must make it a Super Duper Commando. Any comments to the contrary would be well received. Always trying to learn "the truth" about what went on at Mopar.

I used to know all of this "what was a commando and what wasn't" per year...but it's not coming to the top as rapidly as I'd like it to.

Auto Transport Service
Back