• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 crank mystery. Missing locator? HELP!

67charger383

Local time
12:17 PM
Reaction score
New crankshaft
image.jpg

Old crankshaft

image.jpg

Gear drive gear

image.jpg

What is the problem?
The rectangle locator on the crank is just GONE. Never noticed this and now I have a new machined crank installed. I don’t know how I am supposed to be able to install the timing gear/damper without the locator.

Looks like it’s just pressed in, should I try swapping it from the old crank to the new crank???

You should be able to transfer the keyway.
That crank looks rusty for a newly machined piece.

You should be able to transfer the keyway.
That crank looks rusty for a newly machined piece.
I bought it as a full balanced rotating assembly from a old racer. It came out of one of his cars and he had it machined and balanced but he never installed it. It was sealed in bags from the machine shop but sat for 20+ years. Journals are good.

image.jpg

The rod journals look OK if mains were like that good to go. Hope you cleaned everything thoroughly.

Woodruff key and it goes in the keyway. Just swap it from old to new crankshaft! ruffcut

Yes it is a very snug fit be careful to not damage it when removing it.

Yup, the factory keys were very snug and it takes some finessing to get them out without damaging them once they have been in a crank for 50 years. I think someone offers new keys. Might try Mancini.....

You mean the woodruff key? Or as one of my friends call it, the Woodrow key LOL!
IMO....YES, the locating device is called a Woodruff key and the slot in crankshaft is called a "feather way" or key slot. IF the slot were milled the entire length, it would be called a keyway......
BOB RENTON

IMO....YES, the locating device is called a Woodruff key and the slot in crankshaft is called a "feather way" or key slot. IF the slot were milled the entire length, it would be called a keyway......
BOB RENTON
First I've heard of that lol. Not saying it ain't true but wouldn't a woodruff key fit into a woodruff slot? :D I know engineers have a different terminology for dang near everything than what 'regular' machinists do.... :)

First I've heard of that lol. Not saying it ain't true but wouldn't a woodruff key fit into a woodruff slot? :D I know engineers have a different terminology for dang near everything than what 'regular' machinists do.... :)
Engineers put starters under intake manifolds or inside bellhousings.

Woodruff key. When I worked in a engine shop many years ago, we would pop them out and give to the customer or tape them to the work order so they didn't get lost during the machine work process. Popped back in if we assembled the engine. No major problem as long as you can find one.

Auto Transport Service
Back