• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Driver Car Build Suggestions

I guess the first thing that needs to be established is budget. That will determine if it's iron head, low buck, hypereutectic pistons and a carb or if it's CNC ported stealth heads, .043/.043 napier/3mm oil ring package on forged pistons, and EFI on top. For a trans, the A518 lockup convertor is a nice setup.

I agree with those who recommend EFI,,,, Those setups that constantly adjust themselves for driving conditions will likely yield the best results in A/F mixture.
A good set of aluminum heads will make a huge difference as well! I think I'll butt heads with the opinions on brands with some folks here, so I'll just say something different than an aluminum copy of the original cast design is what I'd look for! Modern combustion chambers should be studied while deciding....
An overdrive trans will help on the highways..... Keep the gear ratio in check as well.... The OD trans will let you experiment a bit on this one...
Roller camshaft, Roller rockers, roller timing set, windage tray, a good piston ring pack, light pistons, balanced rotating assy, electric fuel pump, electric fans will all help reduce mechanical loads on the engine as well...
A good set of radial tires that aren't super wide will reduce resistance, and lighter aluminum wheels will reduce rotating mass.
I agree with you,,,, the age of the block shouldn't dictate how we use technology available. I think taking advantage of every little thing and the attention to every detail will get you the 20MPG your looking for.
If it were me,,, I would dyno the engine and try different ignition systems, and settings. I would also want to try a few different intake manifolds with the EFI system to get peak performance at cruise RPM. Spark plug gap settings would be another thing I would play with while on the dyno.

My2Cents,,,,

Thanks for the feedback so far. The link that Blue Demon posted was interesting. This is what I am going for - a car that is quick when I put my foot into it, yet reasonable when I'm just cruising down the highway. Of course, the poster in that thread, ChargerVic, did it with a stroked 400 with 451 CI. I'm sure the trick is to properly match all the components. The big question is what is that "proper match"? :thinker:

I'll keep checking out some builds - I think I remember a 383 build one of the magazines put together a few years ago...

Auto Transport Service
Back