• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 ENGINE TAP!!!

Everyone thanks for the help!! Especially the few who said check the fuel pump lol. Bought a stethoscope and listened around for a few and determined it was 100% coming from the fuel pump. Will be replacing it tomorrow and will let y’all know how it goes
That is what it sounded like to me. If the spring in the fuel pump lever is weak, it won't hold pressure against the rod. That is more than likely your problem but it could also be the rod itself becoming worn down and too short to keep pressure on the pump lever. You should be able to tell once you compare the spring stiffness with the new pump. Glad you found it and good luck with the new pump.

While the pump is out, pull out the rod and check its length. Should be 3.220" or so.

Still going with TC bolt...

Good luck!
I checked TC bolts last night once I seen your post. All were torqued to spec. Noise was un godly loud when I had the stethoscope on fuel pump but know where else. I checked, valley pan, valve covers, heads , pulleys, oil pan. All were quite as can be. I would have never guessed in a million years it would have been a bad fuel pump.

100% coming from the fuel pump.
It it turns out to be the drive rod, try to find a good OEM one.... aftermarket have been a lot of issues with soft ends. Maybe that's the issue you are having right now??

Hey everyone, replaced fuel pump and noise completely went away. Old fuel pump fell apart once I removed it from the block. Thanks everyone! Woulda never guess that in a million years

Hey everyone, replaced fuel pump and noise completely went away. Old fuel pump fell apart once I removed it from the block. Thanks everyone! Woulda never guess that in a million years
That is definitely good news, I never seem to be that lucky.

So I recently bought a 67 Belvedere with a 383. The motor has a pretty beefy cam, im not sure the exact cam it has in it but it’s big enough to pull most of the vacuum out of the brake booster. It had a slight tap when you would first start it and when it was up to temp. But wouldn’t do it all the time. I wanted to bite the bullet and see if I could get away with replacing, lifters (flat tappet) pushrods, and rocker arms. Looking threw the lifter valley the cam appeared fine, and none of the old lifters and any obvious wear. Seemed to run pretty quite for about a week. But started it up for the first time in a couple days and sounded like this. What could this be? If anybody is willing to send me their phone number, I do have a video of the noise. It will not let me post the video on this thread.
pour tranny fluid down the carb and get exhaust smoking real good
you will see smoke leak (tick) from your exhaust manifold to head

So nice when someone post the real fix... So many times the post is just like a dropped call...

everyone love happy ending

1688256895207.png

Auto Transport Service
Back